Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Other resources supplemental to 7sage

petertartagliapetertartaglia Alum Member
edited December 2014 in General 8 karma
Hello everyone! I quickly want to introduce myself before I ask my question. First off, my name is Peter and I graduated from UC Berkeley in 2011 with a Bachelors Degree in History. Since then, I have been working in the legal department, (drafting contracts and dealing with third party author misconduct issues) for a educational publishing company. Now on to my questions!

I have browsing the web on different ways to study for the LSAT and a lot of people (reddit) had suggested using 7Sage. The courses certainly look promising, but is there anything I would be missing out on? I guess more specifically, do I need to buy supplemental books or materials?

When looking at books to buy for studying, there is usually a list of at least a half dozen books. A lot of people suggest the powerscore bible for logic games and logical reasoning but state that I should stay away from their reading comprehension bible. I plan on taking the June 2015 LSAT and would be purchasing the 7Sage Premium Course. Am I set with just purchasing the 7Sage Premium Course, or is it best to buy additional (and if so, which) materials?

Assuming that I don't get the score that I want in June, I know I can extend my course for an additional fee. The next test that I would sign up for then would be the September LSAT. How much is the additional fee and how long does that extend the course? Or is it better off buying the LSAT Ultimate Course? The only downside with this I see, is that I DO get the score I want on the June LSAT and then I have a course that I am not taking advantage of. Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this!

Regards,
Peter

Comments

• Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    edited December 2014 810 karma
    First off, PTs are the most important study resource out there -- get your hands on as many of these as you can.

Personally, I used 7Sage Ultimate (which includes PTs 36-73) along with PTs 1-35, and I felt totally prepared for the December LSAT. I also had second hand copies of the LR and LG Bibles, but I found that I didn't need them -- by the time I finished the 7Sage curriculum, I was scoring in the low 170s, and made further gains through taking and reviewing tests.

I would encourage you to work your way through the 7Sage curriculum and purchase supplementary materials only if you find it necessary after you've reached the end. Why waste time and money on extra materials if you don't really need them? In addition to the Powerscore bibles, I've heard that the LSAT Trainer is really fantastic. Some also like the Cambridge packets, which organize different types of LR questions/LG by type.

A 3 month extension costs $45. More info here: https://7sage.com/addons/

ETA: Oops, Ultimate has LSATs 36-71. I purchased 72 independently!
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    I've heard great things about the LSAT Trainer. I've just ordered myself a copy, so I'll let you know how it is.
  • petertartagliapetertartaglia Alum Member
    8 karma
    Thank you both for your quick responses!
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Cambridge Packets for PT 1-38's are all you need aside from the 7Sage Course.
  • turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    770 karma
    ^agreed.

I've heard good things about LSAT Trainer. I went through Powerscore for both LR and LG (before using 7sage) and it didn't help me. It complicated quite a few topics. Not really worth the time and effort in comparison.

Get Ultimate, since you should probably take recent PTs + explanations. I bought Ultimate in January for the June LSAT, and ended up taking the test in December! So I didn't have to buy more time. Anytime you buy a new PT (like December 2014) it extends your access by one month. Better to be safe, I think.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    I think Manhattan does a great job of helping you with Logical Reasoning. I went from missing -7/-8 on LR per section to -2/-3 per section.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited December 2014 2654 karma
    The great thing about 7sage is that it has drills and that incorporated into it. you have your basic lessons on lets say MBT and then there are a bunch of questions with explanations, followed by a couple of sets(#depending on package) so if the amount of drills available are enough for you than you're good. But cambridge packets are very good if you feel like you need to drill question types more than available with 7sage
  • lbalestrierilbalestrieri Alum Member
    110 karma
    I started off studying with the LSAT Trainer before I discovered 7sage. While it was very helpful to me and ultimately helped boost my preptest score, there really wasn't anything in it not covered in the 7sage curriculum. I made a study guide out of the materials from The Trainer, and I've found myself adding plenty to it from 7sage. I was stuck in my studying and so decided to sign up for this course - I chose the cheapest starter package. 7sage really is very comprehensive and went into question types etc in much greater detail than the LSAT Trainer. I don't mean to talk bad about The Trainer, because I really did like it, but 7sage covers what is in there and more. Plus the interaction available with the forums is very helpful. If money is an issue, like it is for me, I would suggest doing what I did and getting the starter package here and then going over to amazon to buy additional preptest booklets. You can get about 10 preptests for $22.50. The logic games explanations are on this site, however, if you want explanations for the other sections you may want to consider buying a more expensive package here.

As far as extending your package, any ad on will increase your time by one month. I'm considering rewriting in February and wanted help on my applications, so I bought the personal statement bundle for $0.59 and got an increase of a month for super cheap. Otherwise I believe adding one month is around $24, and two months is around $34.

Sorry this is long, but hope this helps! Good luck with your studying!