Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High School Teacher/ Adjunct Professor LOR?

Hi all!

At my smaller state school a lot of the teachers that taught my department's classes were non-tenured adjuncts. Thus, there are only 2 full time faculty I could pull an LOR from. Lucky for me (sarcastic), 1 of those two faculty members and I did not click due to our differences in appreciation for his teaching style.

Thus, I am in a conundrum where I have potential LOR's from my work place (will be out of school for 4 years by the time I start Law School in Fall 2020), but I will only have 1 from my college faculty. Based on the admissions course I realize I will need more academic "beef" to make my application stand out.

What are everyone's thoughts on an AP teacher from high school that I still talk with regularly or an adjunct professor from school? Both would be able to speak to my academic chops as well as the other issues that are discussed in the admissions course. My hesitation is that both may not be considered "academic" enough for admissions officers to take seriously. Looking for some advice on if I should ask one/ both of them for an LOR!

Anything will help! Thanks!

Best,

Jonah Chadwick Griego

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think that adjunct professors would be fine, but I would not go for high school teachers.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

I had an adjunct professor and it was probably my best letter. As @MissChanandler said, high school teacher is pushing it since law schools want to hear from what your college professors thoguht of your academic ability.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

Adjunct professor is great--still a professor who knows your college ability! But I would say DO NOT do a high school teacher. It'll make you look like you had no one else in college who could recommend you, which isn't true.

Ask the adjunct!