Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Example of "It is used to illustrate the general principle that the argument presupposes"?

CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is normally asked but I want to ask anyway because I want to know what it means when I run into it. Can someone reference an example of this and what it essentially means in an argument part question? Its such a simple term but I can't conceptualize this into words. Thanks.

For reference I ran into this in 27.1.17

Comments

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

General principle: all apples are delicious.

Example: unsurprisingly, the apple that martha ate was delicious.

Now the presupposes aspect is tricky because an assumption could be unstated or be something that one party assumes to be true.

Martha was at the farmers market looking for apples. Unsurprisingly, the one that she ate was delicious. Therefore, all apples are delicious.

Here our AP is the premise (illustration) used to support the C (our general principle)

I think there are plenty of argument forms that could fall into the category you've described. The general principle could be in the context, premise, or conclusion since your statement doesn't indicate the support structure. Just that the part of the argument we are isolating is used to illustrate that general principle.

Hope that helps!

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    295 karma

@keets993 Thank you this helps a bunch!