Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake or Apply?

Hi I have a 3.85 UGPA and a 149 LSAT. I was wondering if it would be worth it to apply now for schools or to do my retake in June. I want to go into politics, and after something that happened last night, realized I want to make changes in legislation as soon as possible. A little background: I am 23 years old, female, and have 3 associate degrees and BS in criminology and criminal justice. I recently graduated from ASU in 2018. I am a member of the Humane Party, a party dominated by the ideology of rights for animals. I want to help argue cases against animal cruelty, child abuse, and domestic violence. I moved my family from San Diego, CA to Phoenix, AZ in hopes of getting into ASU Law. I honestly want to attend ASU Law in the future, but not sure if I should try to get my career kicked off as soon as possible, and transfer to ASU. I would be forgoing the scholarships I might get with the retake (if it's over 164) but I would get my career started as soon as possible. With AOC, I think I'm too late to start doing things if I don't get started NOW. So, a little worried. But I would imagine I would go to Barry or Cooley with my stats, then transfer. I don't know what to do now...help?

Should I retake or go to law school?
  1. Should I retake or go to law school?30 votes
    1. Law School
        0.00%
    2. Retake
      100.00%

Comments

• aleland13aleland13 Alum Member
    158 karma

Retake. You’re so young, your GPA is so high and you have so much room for improvement in your LSAT score that I can’t imagine doing anything besides retaking. Waiting a year to start law school isn’t the end of the world. If you want to work in the legislative process, you don’t need to wait to be a lawyer to do that. Go intern for a political campaign/issue or some local politician’s office. You’ll get some good exposure and valuable experience before law school. I’m 4 years out of school and won’t be applying to law school till the fall and I’m so glad I took the time between school to do something else.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited March 2019 1804 karma

I honestly want to attend ASU Law in the future, but not sure if I should try to get my career kicked off as soon as possible, and transfer to ASU. [...] But I would imagine I would go to Barry or Cooley with my stats, then transfer.

All other things notwithstanding, please don't sign on the dotted line for a law school with the intention to transfer:

https://7sage.com/admissions/discussion/#/discussion/15964/should-you-go-to-a-law-school-you-dont-want-or-should-you-try-the-lsat-again

Retaking is the best option.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

Just dropping by to say RETAKE. That is an amazing GPA, so take full advantage of it.

• firefly2552025firefly2552025 Alum Member
    13 karma

@FixedDice said:

I honestly want to attend ASU Law in the future, but not sure if I should try to get my career kicked off as soon as possible, and transfer to ASU. [...] But I would imagine I would go to Barry or Cooley with my stats, then transfer.

All other things notwithstanding, please don't sign on the dotted line for a law school with the intention to transfer:

https://7sage.com/admissions/discussion/#/discussion/15964/should-you-go-to-a-law-school-you-dont-want-or-should-you-try-the-lsat-again

Retaking is the best option.

Thank you, that was very insightful!

• jkjohnson1991jkjohnson1991 Alum Member
    766 karma

Would do anything for that uGPA, please take advantage of that. You can improve that LSAT score and you will be very glad you did a year from now when your options are much better.

• salonpapassalonpapas Member
    138 karma

Retake. You are so young and there is no rush for law school if you will (and you can) improve your LSAT score. Was 149 your only LSAT score? Have you sat for it multiple times?

Think about if debt is a big factor for you. I'm not doubtful that you will get into a law school, and my advice for you would be to do everything to minimize your future student loan. Does practicing law one year earlier make a huge difference in your life? Or is not having debt more important for you? If you retake June and apply as soon as the application cycle opens for fall 2020, I think you would be in great shape and have better scholarship chances.

I'm in the same boat, but much older and I decided to wait until next fall. I am taking March and June.

Hope this helps!

• jasminesadejasminesade Alum Member
    249 karma

Woah your GPA is super amazing. Transferring is definitely a possibility, but do not depend on it.

My bf got into a law school with the goal of transferring to either Harvard or Berkeley. And before finalizing his decision & doing lots of research, he told me that he chose the law school he is in now to make sure that if something were to happen and it didn't go his way (in a scenario he was unable to transfer to either of his dream schools) he would still be content with staying/and the employment outcome in his current position. It is now his second semester of 1L and, as of lately, there are some reasons he is thinking it would actually be smarter not to transfer and to stay and participate in his current school's OCI.

I suggest you keep studying and retake with a goal score that would help you get into ASU law. It would be the safer and more secure route.

• Tim HortonsTim Hortons Alum Member
    edited March 2019 389 karma

You have a solid GPA and it would be a shame to simply 'bite the bullet' and apply without trying your hand at improving that LSAT score.

My first LSAT score (Dec 2017) was quite low and I applied with it thinking my GPA would get me through. Lo and behold, it didn't. Like you, I was 23 at the time. I reasoned that taking the next year to study rigorously would inevitably increase my chances of being admitted to my desired schools, so I did just that. I buckled down and retook the LSAT a year later (Nov 2018). I improved on my first write by 18 points, which secured my admission to each school I applied to. To my surprise, I also received scholarship offers. I'm now starting law school in the fall and will be 25 by that time.

Considering my own experience and having had the same thoughts then as you do now (i.e. feeling that time is of the essence), I encourage you to retake. You're young and the average age for entering law students is ~26 anyways!

• firefly2552025firefly2552025 Alum Member
    13 karma

@salonpapas said:
    Retake. You are so young and there is no rush for law school if you will (and you can) improve your LSAT score. Was 149 your only LSAT score? Have you sat for it multiple times?

Think about if debt is a big factor for you. I'm not doubtful that you will get into a law school, and my advice for you would be to do everything to minimize your future student loan. Does practicing law one year earlier make a huge difference in your life? Or is not having debt more important for you? If you retake June and apply as soon as the application cycle opens for fall 2020, I think you would be in great shape and have better scholarship chances.

I'm in the same boat, but much older and I decided to wait until next fall. I am taking March and June.

Hope this helps!

Yes the 149 was the only one score I got. (Jan. 2019)