Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Test Center Dilemma?

johnwashere31johnwashere31 Free Trial Member
in General 41 karma

So I canceled my test sitting for tomorrow's exam and need to register for the June Exam: however, my nearest testing location is listed as an "Area Test Center", which essentially means that they haven't selected the test center location yet (According to LSAC). They said they will inform you of where it will be when they decide upon a location, however I find it helpful to know where you the exam will be before I sign up for it.

On top of that, my first choice testing center filled up already, even though it was available a few days ago(still kicking myself over not registering then).

I have been reading proctor and test center horror stories, and I am worried that it will end up being a crap-shoot if I go with this location, since the only test center in that area which has had exams in the past has had consistently negative reviews(Granted I couldn't find any recent reviews, but still worrisome nonetheless). I would assume that they would hold it there or possibly at a hotel (which I honestly wouldn't mind as much).

On the other hand, there are spaces available at test centers that have good reviews, but they are 3-4+ hour drives.

The longer I wait the slimmer the pickings will be.

What should I do?

Has anyone ever had any experience registering to take an exam at a "Area Test Center" without knowing exactly where it was going to be when signing up/ what the end result was?

Thank You for your input!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I would go ahead and sign up for the area test center. The proctors aren't the same ones for every administration- there's really no way to know if they'll be good or not. I did an area test center and got a hotel, which ended up being great and MUCH better than having to stay at a hotel the night before and not get as much sleep/fall out of routine

• johnwashere31johnwashere31 Free Trial Member
    41 karma

@MissChanandler How were the proctors at your exam?
    From what I've read it seems that taking the test at a hotel seems better as the tables are guaranteed to be large and it shouldn't be busy or loud on a Monday afternoon. It seems that the proctors are the only wild card factor I can think of that I wouldn't be able to account for.

I did see a video from LSAT Unplugged that a way to prevent proctor issues would be to talk with them beforehand and ask them how long each section will be, if they'll give a 5 min. verbal warning, what their procedures will be, etc.
    I think subtly letting them know how important it is for the exam room to be quiet, as well bringing a print out of the LSAC rules and/or confirmation email from LSAC regarding allowed materials in case they don't know the rules/try to tell you that something isn't allowed would be also be good ideas.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I don't know how useful talking to your proctor about timing will be. Go for it if you'd like, I guess. And ironically, your print out about LSAC rules wouldn't be allowed in the test room haha. So you wouldn't get much farther than the check in with that.

I'd sign up for the area test center. If money isn't an issue, you can keep checking back in to see if any spots open up at the testing center you prefer. If it does become available (sometimes happens when people cancel), you can change your test center location. It's stupidly expensive ($125 I think) so it depends how much that is worth to you. But I personally wouldn't take the test at a center that's multiple hours away if I could avoid it.

• johnwashere31johnwashere31 Free Trial Member
    41 karma

@"Leah M B" I mean it definitively wouldn't hurt to talk to them beforehand. It seems that not all proctors are thoroughly trained/realize how important this exam is for those taking it and how their negligence and/or ignorance of the procedures could negatively impact one's performance.

When I saw my admission ticket for the LSAT I was previously registered, it included 3 or 4 pages which had the rules, so I would assume they would at least allow that as part of the ticket if anything. However, it is only for a worst case scenario, as I have read of some proctors who didn't allow regular analog wrist watches ever since they banned those LSAT watches. It's honestly the only item I would bring that I could see being a potential issue with an inexperienced proctor.

But I agree in that I don't want to travel that far so I'll probably sign up for the area test center. If it turns out to be that test center I read bad reviews about, I guess I'll just practice taking the test on small desks as it seems that was the only major problem with them.

And besides, this is 100% my final exam date as I've already given LSAC waaaaaay more money than I should have by switching and canceling exam dates due to my indecisiveness😅