Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I doing BR correctly?

edited April 2019 in General 615 karma

I’m not so sure if I’m doing the right thing. I study full time.

Day 1: Full timed PT + RC and LG drills
Day 2: BR every question + Videos for RC and LG after each passage and game.
Day 3: Review missed questions from both PT and BR.
LR: After 3rd try, I compare the answers with PT and BR after doing one question.
If I made changes, I write down why I made the change, initial reasoning for choosing and eliminating that AC.
Then I watch JY’s video and write down the difference between his approach and mine.
With different color pen I write out where it went wrong, and what I should work on.
Review CC and books, search discussion board for ways to solve that problem. + do 20Q on that question type,
which is NA most of the cases.

I repeat it twice a week, and BR every question part is a bit time consuming. What can I change/do more in the BR process to make it more effective? How should I review 3rd try, if I got it three times wrong?

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think your routine sounds awesome! The only thing I would change up is this: when BRing a PT, I think the best approach is how it’s described in the cc. When you take a PT, circle any question that you either totally didn’t know, or maybe were unsure of. Then when you BR, on the first pass you only BR the questions that you circled. (I also would BR LG, which basically just means untimed working through the games.) Then, check the answers and see what you got wrong.

This provides an extra level of analysis. It’s helpful to gauge your confidence on questions. If you circled a question but got it right, what was it that made you second guess your answer? Or if you circled it and got it wrong, that means that you really need to work on that one. And on the other side, if you didn’t circle it and got it wrong, what was your reasoning? You were over confident on it. Did you pick a trap answer choice? Did you not read carefully enough?

This approach also helps you save time because if there was a question you were confident on and answered correctly, there’s not much you need to do there. I’m sure it can be helpful to BR those anyway, but at a certain point it can take up time better spent on something else. Using this approach means that your time BRing gets shorter as you progress. When people reach into the 170s, BR takes very little time at all and you can focus your attention on other things like confidence and increasing speed.

• 615 karma

Thank you @"Leah M B" ! I’ll definitely try BRing only circled questions. I kind of forget to circle thing during PT, but will try:)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@Lemongrab said:
    Thank you @"Leah M B" ! I’ll definitely try BRing only circled questions. I kind of forget to circle thing during PT, but will try:)

It’s a really helpful habit to get into! A lot of people get to the point where you basically have time to BR during the test. If you circle the ones you aren’t sure of, then you know what to come back to if you have time. It helps with skipping too, which is a good strategy when you’re trying to get your speed up. Circle a question that you skip and then it helps you to come back to it.

Of course now that the test is going digital, it will be some sort of electronic flag instead of circling. But getting used to marking questions will help you in the long run too.