Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to ask for a letter of recommendation from a professor after years?

jasminesadejasminesade Alum Member
edited May 2019 in Law School Admissions 249 karma

Hi all! So I'm starting to organize all the paperwork I will need to ask professors for letters of rec from my undergrad. I graduated in December 2016... which was a while ago.
I want to ask three professors. One professor who I took two courses with in Fall of 2015, and two others, one in 2015 and one in 2016. How do I go about starting an e-mail to professors I haven't seen or spoken to in a while? All advice is appreciated! thank you so much!

Comments

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

Hey! Great question! So in the email that you send- I recommend a few things- first remind them that you took their class and if that class had an impact on your career trajectory or plans for law school then definitely mention that. Additionally, one of the most important things to mention (in my opinion) is to offer to write a draft of the letter and send to them. I say this because often times professors are super busy and it will be very helpful for them to have a starting point- so offering upfront that you can provide a draft to reduce any burden for them would be great and I think they would appreciate that! Good luck!

• jasminesadejasminesade Alum Member
    249 karma

@Hopeful9812 said:
    Hey! Great question! So in the email that you send- I recommend a few things- first remind them that you took their class and if that class had an impact on your career trajectory or plans for law school then definitely mention that. Additionally, one of the most important things to mention (in my opinion) is to offer to write a draft of the letter and send to them. I say this because often times professors are super busy and it will be very helpful for them to have a starting point- so offering upfront that you can provide a draft to reduce any burden for them would be great and I think they would appreciate that! Good luck!

Thank you sooo much for your prompt response and great advice! I will definitely do that! :smile:

• Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
    652 karma

I am in the same situation as you. I emailed them first thanking them for making an impact on me as a student. Then I made sure to describe some things that they would prob remember me by. And last asked if they felt comfortable meeting up with me to discuss writing me a LOR. At the meeting I gave them a copy of my resume and the how to guide for LOR's that 7sage offers, informed them what type of law I want to practice as well as why I want to go to law school. Best meetings ever. Make sure to emphasize that if they are not comfortable that they do not have to. Worst thing is an LOR that has no passion.

• jasminesadejasminesade Alum Member
    249 karma

@"Jonah Chadwick Griego" said:
    I am in the same situation as you. I emailed them first thanking them for making an impact on me as a student. Then I made sure to describe some things that they would prob remember me by. And last asked if they felt comfortable meeting up with me to discuss writing me a LOR. At the meeting I gave them a copy of my resume and the how to guide for LOR's that 7sage offers, informed them what type of law I want to practice as well as why I want to go to law school. Best meetings ever. Make sure to emphasize that if they are not comfortable that they do not have to. Worst thing is an LOR that has no passion.

That sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately, I cannot meet with my former professors because I am now in another state. But thank you so much for your advice/input!

• Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
    652 karma

@jasminesade said:

@"Jonah Chadwick Griego" said:

That sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately, I cannot meet with my former professors because I am now in another state. But thank you so much for your advice/input!

Schedule a call, see if they are open to skype...heck even some sort of way to update them! Anything will work!