Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake or apply?

Ryan MurrayRyan Murray Alum Member
edited June 2019 in July 2019 LSAT 29 karma

I am sitting for the July LSAT, as most of know, we are allowed to see our score before deciding to cancel it. I was wondering what score would be a definite cancel? I have a LSAC weighted GPA of 3.75 and would really like to have ANY LSAT score on file (even if I plan on retaking in November) so I can send out some applications for ED. I do not mind going to a tier 4-5 law school if worst comes to worst, as my REAL need is scholarships. I am under a contractual obligation to take the July LSAT (free prep material from my undergraduate will have to be payed back if not taken by July) but I just graduated in December 2018 and barely got to LSAT studying in March. I am a non-tradition law school applicant, I graduated HS in 2003 and decided to go back to school 10 years later after being in the business world. I am a first generation college graduate and of course a first generation potential law school student and would appreciate any and all advice, as there are so many conflicting posts/threads online. My PTs ranged from 134 in March to 147 as of last week. Of course I will continue to use my Princeton Review prep materials until test day. I would like to know if I should cancel a score if I plan on retaking in November? Is it okay to have, say a 150 on file and retake it in November in hopes of getting a higher score?

Thank you in advance 7Sagers

Comments

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

If 150 is in your range of average PT scores, and it could potentially get you money at a school ranked 120, why not keep it? You can send out your apps in September/October, note on your application that you're retaking in November (they won't look at your app until the November score is out). Also, I think it would take pressure off of your November test if you already have a score on record that you're somewhat happy with. On the other hand, if your score is way below your average scores, let's say 138 and you're PTing at the 150 range, then maybe you should cancel. It would be better that they didn't see that.

• Best.Yet.2.ComeBest.Yet.2.Come Core Member
    239 karma

I am in very similar situation. I am a non-traditional student who many might say it too old (47) to go to law school, but I refuse to give up on my dreams. I worked as a flight attendant for 15 years had children and have been working on my undergraduate degree as long as you have been out of high school. All of this is to say don't lose heart just keep forging ahead.

Today I went on the tour/informational session for the only school I plan to attend (Indiana University McKinney) and had a moment to speak to the admission's counselor. While this may not be true of every school, when I told her my uGPA (3.67) and where I was hitting for PT's. Her advice was not to cancel a score of 150. (If I could get my head around LG I would would feel more secure in the outcome).

I naively bought into a highly marketed test prep company that made it seem that 3 months was enough time to study for the LSAT. I should have done more research, but thankfully for you and I we have found 7Sage, which I think will make an immeasurable difference.

For many, accepting anything in the 150's might be horrific, but like yourself I am not trying to get into a T-14 school. If you cancel your score, remember there is a November test and you can apply the one time LSAC "freebie" towards a retake. I think with roll out of the digital test and cancellation policy there will be many that exercise that option.

I know this is very long winded, but hopefully it's of slight comfort that you are not alone. Studying for the LSAT can be such an isolating experience in my opinioin and this discussion board has helped me immensely.

In closing, I know from experience the tenacity it takes to keep going when you could give up. Be proud of yourself for staying the course. This test is not life or death and thankfully it can be repeated. Best of luck to you.