Studying for LSAT while in school - Advice

LegallyBrunette21LegallyBrunette21 Yearly Member
in General 500 karma

Hi everyone,

Let me just begin by saying that when I started the LSAT journey back in January, I would have never thought it would take me this long.

I am thinking of cancelling my registration for September as I have not been able to score higher than 155 on PTs and my target score is a 168. This score combined with my gpa would guarantee me a seat at my target score, and I know I am capable of reaching a 168 since all my blind review scores have been around low to mid170s, the real issue for me is timing. I am entering my 4th year of undergrad in September and I have been studying for the LSAT full-time with 7Sage this summer and I do not want my efforts in the past four months to go to waste especially since I understand the LR content really well. My biggest issue is RC as I consistently score between -13 to -15 and I know I need to be reading more to improve my score.

I don't know how I should approach studying while in school as I want to make sure my gpa is not negatively impacted and I would appreciate any advice. I do not mind delaying graduation as I won't be applying until the next cycle. The two alternatives that came to my mind are taking 2 courses in the first term and aim for the January 13th exam or else take 3 courses per term for the whole year and write the April exam, I would like to write it once by April 2020 as I have a free take from the July exam which I cancelled my score. Again, since I am not applying until September 2020, I want to take advantage of increasing my LSAT score as much as possible and I think if I would take a break throughout the year and comeback to LSAT next April I may not be able to attend my target school.

Also, if anyone else is starting their studies now to write the LSAT next year feel free to message me as I am looking for an accountability partner throughout the academic year.

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Improvement happens at different rates for different people. I think you would be wise to wait until later on to take the exam if you aren't close to your target. Your BR scores are high enough that you clearly have the potential to make a big score jump with enough time and work. How much time that will take is impossible to say. Definitely prioritize your GPA now, and study while you can. You can't really cram for the LSAT and would probably burn out if you tried. Take the test when you are ready, and delaying until next year is not the end of the world. Good luck!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Let me suggest an alternative: focus on school and very little on LSAT, for now. If you haven't finished all your required classes, consider throwing in a symbolic logic class that could fill a requirement for your degree or be an elective. Philosophy classes were super helpful.
    Wrap up your gpa as strong as you can. Once your degree is done, your score is locked. No changes, no improvements. Ever. You get one shot at that. Make it the best effort. You will get multiple shots at the LSAT.
    In the meantime, keep LSAT study in mind. Study on weekends. Do a couple hours here and there. Ramp back up on breaks and in between semesters. Focus on in depth understanding and questioning. Then when you graduate, shift all your study efforts onto LSAT.
    Trust me: delaying will not end you. It will be okay if this offsets you by a year or so. This happens a lot more than you'd think it does. If your PT's are way under what you want right now, delay. Everyone says it, and it is 1,000% true: do not take this test until you are closer to your goal. I
    will spend my 40th birthday in law school. I promise you, you have time. But one thing I won't have will be massive loan debt. One year of delay can buy you a lot of years of debt down the road. Depending on how young you are, a one or two year delay to bolster your resume will also be super helpful and look better for admissions.

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

I completely agree with the above comments! I recommend prioritizing on school work first especially since grades/GPA are important. Work on the LSAT when you can but don't be too hard on yourself. Personally, I took MUCH longer to get through CC, but its okay because we all get through this at a different pace! Good luck!!