Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 paged Diversity Statement

deedsLsatdeedsLsat Free Trial Member
edited January 2015 in General 35 karma
Hi 7Sagers!
Just wanted some wisdom on the optional diversity statement. I know that usually there is no specific length on a Diversity Statement and its customary for 1 or less but mines is shaping up to be 2. What do you guys think? Does anyone else have 2 paged DS?

Comments

• SnowballSnowball Member
    111 karma
    I have the same question here
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    My Why X? addenda were nearly 2 pages. I think if you're worried about it, try keeping it to 1.25 or 1.5 pages as a compromise. Just remember to keep it double spaced, 12 point font, 1 inch margin. If you're 2 pages single spaced or with smaller margins, they will not be happy!

Also, as a reader, I don't mind length when it's meaningful. I read lots of applications for executive level positions as part of some volunteer work I do and nothing is worse than a useless cover letter. Your DS should read like a story, be well-written, and be explicitly related to your interest in the study of law. If that puts you to nearly 2 pages, so be it. But, if you write something that comes off as unrelated, out of sequence, bitter, or just a restatement of your CV, it won't be of benefit to your app.

If you keep those things in mind, 2 pages is fine. If you can only keep those standards for a page and little more...then that's where you stop. If you're super worried, you could always email the admissions team and ask if submitting a 2 page DS is appropriate. They're usually super nice folks and are quick to respond.

Remember, these places need diversity! Don't be bashful if you have a good story to tell about yourself.
  • deedsLsatdeedsLsat Free Trial Member
    35 karma
    Hey joegotbored-1, thank you! I appreciate your response I think I have 2 pages worth lol
  • SnowballSnowball Member
    111 karma
    This is very helpful! Thank you'
  • James RayJames Ray Alum Member
    186 karma
    Schools will read whatever you send but they prefer DS's and other addenda to be no longer than one page if possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    edited January 2015 578 karma
    If they say 1 page, they mean 1 page and they want 1 page. If you go over that, you show you are not capable of following directions.

Some may say "usually students write up to 1 page" in the instructions. Take that as "we expect you to do the same"

Source: Harvard representative talking about personal statements and optional essays.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I would try to cut it down a bit, go through and get rid of any fillers if any, they want to know what adversity you have overcome/what makes you different, not to read a story. If you NEED two pages then I don't think it'd be a big problem but I would try to get it to 1 if possible