Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Translating to Lawgic Question

NerfThisNerfThis Alum Member

Hello all,
I've been doing some practice with the older test and stumbled upon a part of the stimulus that I tried to translate into lawgic. The sentence goes as following:

"Yet not until teacher have the power to make decisions in their own classrooms can they enable their students to make their own decisions."

Clearly the until is a conditional indicator for group 3 (Negate, sufficient). Given that there is a not before, I simply negated the not translating it into: Teachers who have power to make decisions -> Enable students to make their own decisions

However, after checking the answers and explanation it seems I made the translation wrong and the correct translation would have the sufficient and necessary conditions flipped.

What is it that I'm doing wrong here? Seems like I'm missing something but can't quite point it out.

(The question is from Dec 1992: Sec 2 Q23 for those who are interested)

Comments

• BranTwiceBranTwice Alum Member
    edited October 2019 204 karma

A DIVA main, huh?

To me it looks like this:

“If teachers can enable their students to make their own decisions —> then teachers must have the power to make own decisions in classroom.”

Because its not until they had the power that their students would be able to make their own decisions. So it was the necessary condition to that potentiality.

But I do see the confusion caused by until there. I was never good at translating rule by rule. I probably should have just said nothing, and let someone equip to answer this field it, but I couldn’t resist the temptation to engage another 7Sager who also plays Overwatch.

• thedramallamathedramallama Member
    103 karma

i think this is confusing because the 2 group indicators are right next to each other. typically, when we see a sentence with both, the indicators are separated by a few words.

we know that this sentence is:
    "Yet not until teacher have the power to make decisions in their own classrooms can they enable their students to make their own decisions."
    - the 2 groups are 1) teachers have the power (TP) 2) students are enabled (SE)
    - the sentence can be read as "until teachers .. decisions, students are not enabled"
    -for sake of simplicity, let's use the first group as the sufficient , and the second as the necessary.

if you want to use "until" as your indicator:
    1) TP --> /SE
    - apply group 3 indicator: /TP --> /SE (contrapositive: SE --> TP)

if you want to use "not" as indicator:
    1) /TP --> SE
    - apply group 4 indicator: /TP --> /SE (contrapositive: SE --> TP)