Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help needed :(

aadivineaadivine Member
in General 48 karma

Hi guys
I am extremely stressed out also I have been also a brain fog due to to studying.
I have been extremely stressed because I always get most of the LR questions 16-26 wrong and only few of them right. I don’t know why this is a pattern and I am aware that they can be harder questions. I feel that even after going over the course it did help me a lot no doubt ! I need to know is this normal ?
Do I keep practicing till I get them ?
Anyone been through this ?

Thanks

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8699 karma

These can be some of the most difficult questions in the section and therefore on an entire exam. My recommendation here would be to brush up constantly on the “fundamentals”: pulling apart the premise, conclusion, context, other people’s argument etc while focusing on ways in which the argument is reasoning: is there causation there? Conditional language? Arguments by analogy etc. Then focus on the specific job the question stem wants you to do, and the common answer choices that might appear on both the type of question and the pattern of reasoning present. So for instance is there a weakening question with a correlation in the premise and a causal statement in the conclusion based on that correlation? Great, that is a “pattern” you should be prepared to know how the lsat will weaken. Supplement this work by watching the videos on 7Sage. Which are a great way to help internalize the material.

Do your drills consciously and carefully.

• RealLaw612RealLaw612 Member
    edited October 2019 1094 karma

If you're missing most LR questions, there are several possible reasons. You could be misunderstanding the question stems, the reasoning of the stimulus, or the answer choices.
    In order to get better at LR there is a single step that helps more than anything else: the translation drill.

Start with some new LR sections. Read the question stem FIRST and determine what it is asking you to do. Next, read the stimulus and identify it's type. There are four basic types of stimuli: arguments, premise sets, paradoxes, and dilemmas; and each one requires you to find something different: for arguments, find something that ruins it; for premise sets, look for an inference; for paradoxes, ask yourself what resolves it; and for dilemmas, find the point of conflict.

Most of the time, the stimulus will contain an argument (probably a very bad one!) and you'll want to identify what it is, and what's wrong with it. Identify the conclusion first, then the premises and write them next to the stimulus in your own words.

Write down what's wrong with the argument and make some guesses as to what would solve the question BEFORE even looking at the answer choices. Finally, carefully read each answer choice and find the one that fixes what you identified as wrong with the argument. Some answer choices are worded tricky so, just like with the stimulus, it is very useful to learn to translate the meaning into your own words. Once you are comfortable identifying the parts of a stimulus, practice reading the argument one time through, then covering it up and writing down the conclusion and premises in your own words and predicting the answer. Do this enough times and you should find yourself finishing Prep Test sections in well under 35 minutes with accuracy.

Caveat: for matching flaws and reasoning, I find it most useful to write the argument out in lawgic. Then, check the answer choice conclusions and eliminate any that don't align with your lawgic (usually this quickly leaves you with 2 or 3 remaining.) Then, translate the few remaining answer choices into lawgic. These question types are time consuming by design but this method helps shorten the duration while improving accuracy.

Complete enough questions until translation becomes second nature and you feel comfortable doing it all in your head. Do not worry about time when you begin this process: it is mastering the logic that will make you fast. This method may take a week or two of hard practice before you see significant improvement, but your score will improve. I went from -11 to -1 with this method. Hope this helps and good luck in your LSAT journey!

• aadivineaadivine Member
    edited October 2019 48 karma

Thank you