Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law Part-Time

Is there anyone that works full-time and is going to go to law school part-time? I am teacher at a high school and am considering it, I am not sure how I would be able to do it though. Is anybody going to do this? If so, just curious what job do you have and how do you plan on juggling the two? It looks like the part-time evening programs run from 6-9 and only on weekdays, which means I would be working 8-4:30 (4:30 being the earliest I could leave). I go back and forth on whether or not this is feasible and if I should attempt it, any advice?

Comments

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

There is a great thinking LSAT podcast episode on this. Not sure which one it is :/ ill try to find it tho

• MorbidlyObeseCheetahsMorbidlyObeseCheetahs Alum Member
    50 karma

How badly do you want it?

• zacharytsmith26-1zacharytsmith26-1 Alum Member
    849 karma

@MorbidlyObeseCheetahs said:

It's not about going or not going, I am going to law school, that's decided. I'm just trying to decide if I should continue working while doing it.

• zdanlaw1991zdanlaw1991 Member
    80 karma

zacharytsmith26,
    I am in a similar position, an educator thinking about part-time school. DM me if you would like to discuss.

• MorbidlyObeseCheetahsMorbidlyObeseCheetahs Alum Member
    50 karma

@zacharytsmith26 said:

@MorbidlyObeseCheetahs said:

It's not about going or not going, I am going to law school, that's decided. I'm just trying to decide if I should continue working while doing it.

I should have been clearer in my response. I was referring to the post topic -- how badly you want to attend part-time law while working?

More information would be helpful, but either way I'd suggest evaluating your long-term career and financial goals. Consider:

-The number of hours you need outside of work to perform your current job to your desired level of quality. How much additional time commitment is required? Are you spending significant time outside school on lesson plans, tutoring, anything else? Like many high school teachers, do you have summers off?
    -The relevance of your current career to your future legal career. Are there career-based motivations to remaining employed?
    -How you will be financing law school. Weigh it in consideration of years of lost income, investment strategies, and retirement planning.

Finally, different law schools may have different policies on transferring between full and part time programs. Consulting with them may help you decide on an entry point and a contingency plan.

Good luck!