Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GPA on resume: Undergrad or LSAC calculated?

Should I put my LSAC calculated GPA on my resume or my undergraduate institution's calculation if it differs?

Comments

• zdanlaw1991zdanlaw1991 Member
    80 karma

I am curious about this as well.

• washindawashinda Alum Member
    50 karma

Which ever is higher. That's what I say

• following post

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

What are you using the resume for? Is it to apply for law schools? If its for applications, I would remove the GPA from the resume since it is redundant because they have your transcripts.

• Jessica B.Jessica B. Alum Member
    56 karma

I would put both on the resumé especially if you go to a school where pluses and minuses do not weigh the GPA.

• kmarie.skmarie.s Member
    98 karma

Yes, it is to apply to law schools. Traditionally speaking, your GPA is still supposed to be on there if it is above a 3.5.

• galaxygalgalaxygal Alum Member
    edited December 2019 224 karma

I was curious about this too but came to the following conclusion: An LSAC GPA is the combination of grades from all the collegiate institutions you attended, but you typically list your GPA under a specific institution's name on a resume. So if you received a 3.75 from Cornell and a 4.0 at a community college where you took a few summer classes that didn't count towards your overall GPA, then maybe your LSAC GPA would average to a 3.8. But in this case, since those summer classes didn't count towards your Cornell GPA, to put that you received a 3.8 GPA at Cornell would be incorrect.

The math is probably inaccurate but just wanted to illustrate my thinking with an example. So I would think you put your actual GPA that's listed on your transcript. I suppose you could list both and clarify which one is your LSAC GPA if there's a substantive discrepancy between the two, but not sure if it's necessary.

• Mario RoboMario Robo Alum Member
    266 karma

I was told by people including admissions officers from law school that you don't need to put your GPA on your resume for law school applications because they already have both.

They said also if you do, you can pick which one to put on, just don't make one up/make sure its updated because if it says a different GPA than both LSAC and your school one then its a problem.

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

@"kmarie.s" said:
    Yes, it is to apply to law schools. Traditionally speaking, your GPA is still supposed to be on there if it is above a 3.5.

According to whom? It's definitely to your discretion.

I second Mario Robo above ^

• hon132hon132 Free Trial Member
    122 karma

@"kmarie.s" said:

I would say a resume follows resume rules and no, your GPA is not required if it's above 3.5. Anything about a 3.5 is nice for employers to see but I wouldn't put anything lower and it's definitely not required. They have your academics for your prospects as a student, the resume is your prospects to get the actual work experience.