Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Canadian looking to study in the US

I have recently started studying seriously for the LSAT. I am looking to attend law school in the US. Afterwards, I would like practice in the US.

Are there any limitations on an international student's ability to get hired out of law school and work in the US? After my undergraduate studies, I came across this issue in applying for entry-level positions - nobody wanted to sponsor me for an entry-level position. Are there any other considerations I have to make aside from visa sponsorship?

My apologies if this is vague... I know very little about how a Canadian might practice in the US!

Comments

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

Nope, visa consideration will be your biggest hurdle. Aside from that the only other thing you might want to consider is that should you ever decide you want to practice in Canada for whatever reason, you'll have to do another year or so of schooling (as the law system in Canada differs vastly from the US, they require it).

• SkrikSkrikSkrikSkrik Alum Member
    34 karma

One limitation is that many courts only hire citizens as judicial clerks. But you're free to work for law firms/teaching faculties/etc.