Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no X builds Y but not Z

alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
in General 812 karma
How would you guys diagram this statement?

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    if Y & /Z -> /x (i think)lol took me a minute to make sense of that, its saying X cannot build Y without building Z too
  • Alex ShortAlex Short Alum Member
    112 karma
    Hey Alex - how's it going? Long time no see - we should meet up sometime. I would look at this statement as "X builds Y, but not Z", with the 'No' negating all elements that follow.

I understand "X builds Y, but not Z" much more easily, and would write it as a single X with two arrows, one to Y and another to ~Z.

If there is no comma in the statement, I'd have to assume the "No" at the beginning applies to both elements.

So, "No X builds Y":
    X -> ~Y

And "No (X builds Not Z)"
    (X -> ~Z)
    ~X -> Z

Ultimately getting:

X -> ~Y and ~X -> Z

Although, admittedly, I'm certainly uncertain about my approach in this case.
    112 karma
    jdawg's approach was the other route I imagined possible... but I hesitated with that approach only because the grammar trips me up with this particular phrasing (aka, the lack of a comma). Good to know!

2654 karma
    @"Alex Short" idk, that makes it look like X can't build Y and Z which isn't how I see it. I see it as X can build Y and Z but cannot build Y if it doesnt also build Z
    112 karma
    @jdawg113 Okay, that makes much more sense for me - I saw both as possibilities but I thought that

"X can build Y and Z but cannot build Y if it doesnt also build Z"

would be written as "No X builds Y, but not Z". And with that, time for some coffee! Thanks for the clarification though; I appreciate it!
  • Catehm88Catehm88 Alum Member
    edited February 2015 8 karma
    It is saying that if X builds Y, then it must also build Z take out the negative language on this one.

(X-->Y)--> (X-->Y&Z)

The contrapositive of the statement is, if X does not build Z then it does not build Y.

I hope this helps a little.
    2654 karma
    eh its similar... and I like the wording you used there @Catehm88
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Wait, I'm actually confused lol. I understood this statement to mean two things:
    1) no X builds Y (Y --> /X)
    2) no X does not build Z ( Z --> X)

Y --> /X
    /X --> /Z
    -----------
    Y --> /Z

Is that not right? lol

2654 karma
    @blah170blah I don't think so. think of it as no X builds Y without(but not) building Z
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Ahhh I see. So we have two conditions for the conditional.

If you have Y AND /Z then you don't have /x.

Which is what you said:
    Y & /Z ---> /X
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    I take it as If it is X and it builds Y, it must build Z.
    2654 karma