Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1L at Osgoode

keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
in General 6045 karma

Hi, hi!

I hope everyone at the 7sage community is well :) I just finished first semester at Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto, Canada. I thought I'd pop back and answer questions people applying might have about the culture and 1L experience at Osgoode. I'm just going to start off by saying that I'm not going to talk about grades. I can talk about the general curve that's at Osgoode for most 1L courses but other than that, grades are not something you should worry about until November, a month before exams.

I can't promise I'll be answering frequently or that I'll have all the answers but I'll try my best :)

Comments

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    edited January 2020 1470 karma

Osgoode is my number 1 choice school! Wondering if its true that you need a 160 + on the LSAT? I've been struggling with it but am determined.

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2798 karma

Do you find yourself using your LSAT skills a lot? If so, which ones? Congrats on finishing your first semester :)

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

@emmorens I think a 160+ probably helps but there are people with a lower score that get in. Most people usually never talk about LSAT scores once in, it's kind of like a shared experience no one wants to talk about. But I know that Osgoode has a holistic approach so they do take into account work experience, grades, etc. I noticed that people with 160+ were the ones that got offers earlier in the cycle. If the rest of your application is strong then with a score in mid 150s or high 150s you should have a good shot. But check out the admissions statistics that the school releases every year to see if you fall within there.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

@"Lucas Carter" that's an interesting question. My property prof mentioned sufficient and necessity a lot today but other than that, not really. I think the LSAT teaches you certain skills like time-management which is helpful for law school exams. Since everyone is a hard worker and comes in to exams prepared and with the same knowledge base, sometimes spending 1 minute or 2 extra on one question than your peers can be the difference in between your letter grade.

Other than that it's hard to tell whether the reasoning/analytical skills you learn help because I have nothing to compare it to.

• Gatsby96Gatsby96 Member
    102 karma

As a current law student at osgoode do you think there is a huge difference between graduating from osgoode and graduating from another law school in Ontario in terms of finding employment after graduation ?