Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fool Proof Method

emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
in Logic Games 3462 karma
Hello,

From watching JY's videos I thought I had the Fool Proof Method down pack but now I am unsure.
I currently give myself 8 mins on a LG in the course. Then I watch the Game Board Setup/questions videos and check my answers. Then if I missed any of the questions I print out 10 copies. I usually print 10 copies of each game, just for extra practice. Even on the games I get a 100% I just like to go back to them in a few days/weeks/months and work them out again to make sure I understood the game. But I'm currently working my way through the Intro to Grouping Games: In/Out Games and I noticed that when I printed out the 1st problem set in the instructions it said:
1. Complete each LGs in less than 10 mins.
2. Fool Proof Review - Is this the same way I've been doing it before?
3. Check your answer

So I wanted to clarify if I'm actually doing it right? Or am I missing a step?

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I would say ur doing it fine. I always interpreted that as once ur done with them timed, go back over them checking to make sure they're all right (like blind review) then check your answer (and then fool proof/redo games that you struggled with and such, yada yada) keep it up
  • Marie4lawschoolMarie4lawschool Alum Member
    359 karma
    Hi @emli1000 -- the only thing I'd add to @jdawg113's reply is that for Fool Proof Review, if you have the slightest hesitation about an answer being correct, go over it first before watching the video, giving it as much time as it takes to get to an answer you are 100% confident about. THEN watch the video and check your answers.

Also, note that some LGs take longer than 8 minutes and some much less, so I suggest you work as fast as you can and time yourself on each game. Record the time it takes on each LG and see what timing JY recommends in the video. I kept a log of my times for each game and kept practicing - e.g., I might feel good about finishing a game in under 8 minutes until hearing JY say it's an easy one that should take under 5 minutes! That told me I had to keep redoing it to attain real mastery.

One other thing I worked out that helped me: sometimes I'd complete a game, get it all right, and move on without really analyzing what were the key inferences and how I worked them out for that game pattern. I started doing a lot better once I put in this analytical reflection as then I really did start spotting similarities between games and could apply time-saving prior learning.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    @jdawg113 wait, so basically after I finish a game I have to "BR" the questions I circled? I didn't know that. Instead what I do is watch his video explanations and then print out more copies of that particular game. Hmmm... Interesting... lol
    3462 karma
    Thank you @Marie4lawschool! I seem to skip that part. But now I will approach it similar to BR. Yes, the easy games should take about 5 mins, while harder games could take 10-15 mins. But with practice, sometimes I'll notice how the inferences I've made in a similar game before end up being the same inferences I need to make on the current game. It's such a time saver. I try to watch every video explanation after each game. & later re-do that game. It's really all about inferences!
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I mean that is what I do. I time myself and once I finish I look over the rules again then go over each question and make sure the right answer actually works (or doesn't if MBF)
    3462 karma
    @jdawg113 ok. That makes sense. Thanks!