Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sorry Last question for today Promise! Assumption!

arabprodigy30arabprodigy30 Alum Member
edited February 2015 in General 243 karma
http://7sage.com/lesson/the-embezzler-weaken-question/?ss_completed_lesson=991

Help!
I thought the assumption in this argument was
"It is more likely that actuaries are the embezzlers because accountants would never make the lender mistake"

So I thought to weaken the argument you would have to look for why accountants could be the embezzlers and could make the mistake?

But I noticed rather to weaken the argument you have to show how it "could not be actuaries " .Instead of how it could be the accountant.

So weaken questions are we attacking just the conclusion? Or do we assume an assumption and see what attacks that? Because I feel like mine was way off HAHA

(P.S Sorry for bombarding you guys with questions. I am doing my best to learn as much as I can :) , Bare with my silly questions..)

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    You aren't attacking the conclusion or premise, you want to attack the support (give reason why the premise doesnt support conclusion. This is a weaken except so you are looking for one that doesnt weaken (stengthen or neutral AC) To weaken you can both show why it wasnt the actuaries or why it can be the accountant, either weakens
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    You never attack the conclusion or premise, it's always the support between the premise and conclusion. Make sure you are familiar with premise and conclusion indicators for these question types. And also ask yourself how does this premise support this conclusion. Once you get that down pack these question types should appear to be a bit more easier.
    3462 karma
    @SoltanShah
    INTRO TO ARGUMENTS
    3 WAYS TO IDENTIFY PREMISE AND CONCLUSION Lesson 8 of 16
    -INDICATORS: words that indicate P & C
    PREMISE: Given that, Seeing that, For the reason that, In as much as, Owing to, As indicated by, After all, On the grounds that
    CONCLUSION: Consequently, therefore, As a result, So, Clearly, It follows that, Accordingly, We may conclude, Entails that, Hence, Thus, We may infer that, It must be that, Implies that, That is why
    Words or phrases that are usually followed by premise(s) but contain the conclusion: For, Since, Because
    -WHY?!: why should I believe that sentence? And refer to the other sentences for support? Then that sentence is the conclusion.
    Involves trial and error. Take the sentence that you think may be the conclusion (or at random) and ask yourself, “Why should I believe it?” What reasons has the passage provided to accept the supposed conclusion? Try to answer that question by referring to the other sentences in the passage. If those sentences give you a satisfactory answer to why you should believe what the conclusion sentence says, then you may have found the conclusion. Or, you could also be just very easily satisfied.
    -PERSUASION: What is the author trying to persuade me that? That is the answer to what a conclusion is. The thing that you are being persuaded of that is the conclusion of the argument.

ADVANACED LABELING Lesson 10 0f 16
    -For, since, because
    People get confused by these three words, but they are not that confusing. They introduce both premises and conclusions. But, you just have to remember that these three words are locked in to introduce premises and you’ll always find the conclusion in the same sentence. Either it’ll appear before the indicator word, or it’ll appear after the premise.
    -Sub-conclusion/major premise
    Sometimes arguments get a little complicated and there is more than one conclusion. But only one of them is the main conclusion and the rest are just sub-conclusions, otherwise known as major premises. We’ll see some examples of these.
    -Context v. argument
    It’s always helpful to figure out what the context or background information is versus what the author’s argument is. Sometimes context is just background information. Sometimes context is actually some other person’s argument. If it is someone else’s argument, you also have to figure out what the premises and conclusions are in the other person’s argument.
    - "But", "although", "however"
    These words typically indicate a turn away from context - we’re now switching from contextual information, background information - into argument. "Some people say"
    This phrase (and its variations) are a common way for Logical Reasoning passages to begin. This phrase always introduces someone else’s argument.-still context
  • arabprodigy30arabprodigy30 Alum Member
    243 karma
    @emli1000 I literally just saved your comment to my notes! thank you :D
    2654 karma
    way to try and show everyone up @emli1000 *eye roll* :P
    3462 karma
    @jdawg113 Are you feeling some type of way buddy? lol i'm just trying to do my part and help out whenever I can ^_^
    2654 karma
    obvi kidding :P very thorough
    3462 karma
    @SoltanShah You're welcome! Now memorize those indicators and you'll be golden!

Btw, flashcards were extremely helpful for me.
  • arabprodigy30arabprodigy30 Alum Member
    243 karma
    Life Saver!!! @emli1000
    I realize how much more studying I have to do to learn the foundations now!
    Very grateful for your help! :)
    3462 karma
    Keep it up! You'll get there soon! & you're welcome!