Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I prioritize foolproofing ?

mellomelmellomel Alum Member
in General 292 karma

Hi all,

I need some help on my study schedule. I've taken 4 PT's so far and despite foolproofing all LG problem sets and drills in the CC, I've only been able to score - 6 on my last PT (my best LG score). I have recently started to drill the clean games from PT 1 - 16, and I have yet to reach a level of consistency, meaning I typically score in the - 0 to - 2 band within the allocated time, but for example I got a - 4 today on a fresh game which was quite disheartening.

I still have some work to do in LR and a lot more in RC. I don't feel that focusing exclusively on LG for more than a few days is necessary, as I feel like I can improve by foolproofing throughout the week along with LR/RC specific work. But I'm not sure if this will be beneficial to do as I see many people on the threads focusing exclusively on LG for a much longer period of time. Additionally I feel like I really need to be taking more PT's at this point.

Also I'm planning on taking the June LSAT, but I have a little more time since I will be taking it in Europe on 25th of June, if the current situation allows.

So in short, do you guys recommend that I focus on LG first before serious PT'ing or is it ok to instead focus on my weaknesses in other sections as well along with regular PT'ing?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Comments

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

I think that if you have the time available you should try to focus on all of your weakness, particularly if your test is in two months. That being said, I would probably give LG more of an emphasis simply because that is generally the easiest section to improve on. Up until a certain point in your prep, X number of hours is likely to give you more of a boost in LG than RC.

I agree with you that I think you can improve on LG with consistent work every day while at the same time continuing to work on your weaknesses in the other sections. In fact, I think that it is important to continue work on the other sections even if you are happy with your scores in those sections. I have noticed in my own prep that when I really spend a lot of time focusing on just one of the sections I do make progress on that section but it comes at the cost of a regression in the other sections. I have to drill fairly regularly just to maintain a given level of proficiency.

I am not sure where you are scoring at on the other sections, but there might be something to the idea of holding off on PTing for a little bit just to do more practice sections from all three sections, including LG. The early LR sections aren't as useful I don't think, but I did the LG and RC from PT 1-35 and I felt that it was really helpful for me. By doing the sections individually I was able to work on building proper habits without the added pressure of an entire 3-5 section PT hanging over my head. The LSAT is a ton of work, but it is worth it. I hope this helps, happy studying!

• mellomelmellomel Alum Member
    292 karma

Thanks a lot for your detailed and well thought message, I really appreciate it! I agree with everything you said. I think I will aim to incorporate some LG work into my schedule everyday, at least until I start seeing more consistent results. As for my performance in other sections, I think I improved a lot in LR, I scored - 2 on a section in my last PT which was quite motivating. With RC however, I still struggle a lot with accuracy and timing (my best RC score is -7). I hadn't thought of going through RC sections in earlier sections. I will definitely be making that a part of my routine now that you mentioned how helpful it was for you. Thanks again for the motivating message. I wish you the best in your LSAT journey!