Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worried my GPA won't be considered in context

kes22284kes22284 Alum Member
edited May 2020 in Law School Admissions 34 karma

I don't know if anyone here can help me out with this, but it's something that has been nagging me since I took the LSAT in November. I went to a small liberal arts school that refuses to engage in college rankings and grade inflation. The average graduating GPA is around 3.2, and it has been this way for over 25 years. In that same span of time only 8 students have graduated with a 4.0.

My GPA is 3.4 (undergrad, not CAS), with my grades improving year to year (I received academic commendations during my Junior and Senior year). I'm genuinely proud of my GPA within context, but lurking certain admissions forums I get scared by the narrative that admissions officials only care about numbers in relation to averages. Can I trust admissions officials to take where I went to undergrad into account while considering my application? I know in theory I probably should, but I also have some doubts. I feel bad saying this, but I feel very confident I would have gotten at least a 3.9 at most other schools. I took 3 summer courses at an elite university before my Junior year and got A's with less effort than I needed to put in at my undergrad institution.

I hope this post doesn't across as me bragging or making excuses. I would really appreciate any input at this point honestly. I think the T-14 or bust mentality is toxic, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't matter to me at all. My LSAT is 174.

Thanks so much for any help.

Comments

• Anthony92Anthony92 Alum Member
    54 karma

I think you're much like me - putting too much emphasis on a schools reputation. You should check out law school transparency - there are schools in the Top 30-50 that have higher employment statistics and better salary outcomes than some of those in the Top 20.

If you're looking for a Federal Clerkship or to work in "BigLaw" a T14 is a sure way to put yourself in the conversation, however, it's not a guaranteed outcome. I know someone who went to Chicago-Kent (89th) who works at a reputable law firm in Chicago, making 180k+ yearly.

The biggest piece of advice that I can share with you, is what others, including my ex girlfriend and multiple attorneys I have worked with (Former Paralegal for five years) have shared with me, which is that the school you go to should be picked based on the state you want to practice (exclude YLS/HLS/SLS).

And that you should stay away from Tier 3 schools. However, this doesn't always hold true, as my sample above represents. I think that if you truly have a passion for law, and justice, like myself, who is about to embark on another journey of studying for the LSAT, you should go to a school that has clinics, programs, and a good career center. There are plenty of schools in the Top 30 you'd have an excellent shot of being admitted too, possibility with a scholarship, but you need to weigh whether or not you could live with not being accepted to a quote "T14" years from now.

Many of the former JAG Attorneys I've worked with went to schools that were far outside the Top 50, none of them went to any Ivy League Law Schools, but they all had a passion for justice and law, and loved what they did. (Also were compensated very well)

I ask that you have the confidence in yourself, based on your experiences, and plan your admissions, to give yourself the best shot at getting into a program of YOUR dreams. My dream school is Boston College, which isn't necessarily GPA heavy, and has excellent job outcomes and location (I love Massachusetts)

Best of luck on your future endeavors. If you don't remember anything from this post a year from now, remember that the choice of law school doesn't define indefinitely the trajectory of your career, and certainly doesn't define WHO you are.

• DefenderDefender Alum Member
    348 karma

Your LSAT score seems high enough to mitigate the 'lower' GPA, even for some of the t-14. If it were me, I wouldn't even address the GPA issue with an addendum. I say this because I've seen some personal statements/addenda which try to explain a low GPA, and to be honest, they come across as immature. Respect the time of the admissions officer and give them a concise, well-written personal statement highlighting your areas of 'victory'.

From a VERY cynical standpoint, you are probably a total catch for some of the t-14 schools, right? They can admit you and use your LSAT to pat their stats---while at the same time use your GPA to offer you sticker price admittance.

Personally, I think a personal statement can clinch your entrance to some great schools. Also, anthonyk92 said it perfectly---there are law schools that are pacing the employment stats of some higher ranked schools. Schools like Baylor (160 median) have 90+ employment placement. Like, you have enough in your corner to go to a good school, not pay a dime, and come out with great local connections.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Your GPA is pretty good. It tells people you were a focused student in college. Your undergraduate institution(s) will be part of the LSAC calculation. Was this an American school? If so, your LSAC GPA will tell admissions lots of information about the GPAs from that college. Your LSAT score is amazing and probably makes it almost certain that you'll get many good offers.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Your academic summary report contains what percentile you graduated in. That seems like enough context?

• 35 karma

Same boat, except for I don't have an LSAT score yet haha. I went to a tiny liberal arts college where we had no required classes, no majors, and grades were optional which meant that less than 1/2 of the students took grades for ANY classes. What mattered much more to us was the content of our classes, which were often socratic seminar based and almost never involved testing. The entire pedagogical model revolved around curricular self-design and encouraged experimentation. This meant that grades mattered far less than at a tradiditional major/minor setting.

I know that such colleges might be more looked down upon by law schools who are used to a more rigid sense of academic excellence, but I'm hoping they at least know that such 'Montessori for undergrads' type schools exist out there, and that the GPA from a school where acting students are also studying plant biology, spanish lit, and jazz improv should be taken with a grain of salt.