JD/MBA - GMAT

pannabpannab Alum Member
in General 28 karma
Hi everyone! I'm just wondering whether any of you are applying for a JD/MBA program and also need to study for the GMAT? I feel like I've been extremely lucky and spoiled by finding 7sage right away in the beginning of my LSAT prep and am having difficulty finding any online course or study material remotely as comprehensive and well designed in the world of GMAT. Also, I am having trouble deciding how much of GMAT prep is repetitive in terms of RC and logical reasoning, so whether I should start from the beginning of a course or where to jump in... Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• bstew2002bstew2002 Alum Member
    269 karma
    Check out the Economist's GMAT Prep.
  • LSATman1LSATman1 Alum Member
    386 karma
    I started with Kaplan (in-person class) for GMAT prep, which was OK. Many of the methods are intuitive, but much of the material and practice questions were too easy if you are aiming for a score over 700. My score improved only slightly with Kaplan. I used the Economist and my score improved more significantly. What I liked about the Economist is that the entire course adapts to your ability, so you are constantly doing problems that challenge you and focus on your weaknesses. This (referential phrase! lol) is important because the GMAT is adaptive.

Also, depending on what programs you are applying to, you may need to take only one of these tests. For instance, Northwestern's JD/MBA program requires the GMAT but won't accept LSAT scores. UVA lets you submit the GMAT in place of the LSAT if you apply to the UVA JD/MBA program. A lot of programs do require both tests, though, so you should check the requirements of the schools you are interested in.

The RC and Critical Reasoning (the same as LR) on the GMAT are generally considered easier on the GMAT than on the LSAT, and preparing for the LSAT should help you with the GMAT verbal section. The GMAT verbal section also includes grammar questions, which are not on the LSAT.
  • LSATman1LSATman1 Alum Member
    386 karma
    Also the GMAC (the creator of the GMAT) offers GMAT prep software which includes 2 free practice tests and some additional practice questions. You can also buy two more practice tests and more practice questions through the software
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Yes to the GMAT. Manhattan GMAT all the way for your quant section.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    You might want to look more into the schools you are applying to. Some places do not require a GMAT in certain cases, for example a high LSAT score.
  • pannabpannab Alum Member
    28 karma
    Thanks everyone! Yea I've checked the schools I'm applying to and unfortunately for sure need the GMAT too. Will definitely check out the Economist one! Some of the other options I've heard about are GMAT pill, Empower GMAT and Magoosh, any opinions?
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Ahhh sucks that they won't use your LSAT score for GMAT!