Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diversity Statement or Addendum?

I finished my undergrad with a 3.82 so I got pretty good grades while also dealing with a lot of mental health issues. I'm not sure if it would be better to write about this in a diversity statement or in an addendum since these issues kept me from doing any extracurriculars? TIA

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    edited June 2020 3481 karma

An addendum is to explain why your poor outcomes were a result of external factors outside of your control. Not sure why you feel the need to write an addendum for a 3.82. Some admissions officers have said they view unnecessary addenda as immature and poor judgment

ETA: I know you said this kept you from participating in extracurriculars, but I don’t feel like that warrants an addendum. Check out the law school admissions free curriculum on here, they have pretty good explanations of when to write an addendum and how to write one.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

You can definitely explain somewhere in the application--maybe for a short answer question-- that because you had this circumstance--a health issue, you had to limit activities. This may help explain the college activities question.