Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildly different diagnostic scores?

chrisgmay16chrisgmay16 Core Member
edited June 2020 in General 10 karma

Hi all! So I recently took my diagnostic test (PT 75 chosen randomly, I know kinda dumb) and got a 153. During the test, I just fell like I was feeling off and my head was kind of foggy maybe? On a whim, I took PT 76 a week later with virtually no review or studying, and I got a 163. I don't know what score I should use as my diagnostic or which is more indicative of my raw abilities. Is the second test not considered my diagnostic because I had already taken a PT and was therefore loosely acquainted with the LSAT? I know that your diagnostic score isn't hugely important, but it's useful to track your progress. Any insight is appreciated!

Comments

• 1058 karma

Did you have to guess on any problems? This could cause a fluctuation. Maybe you guessed better on one versus the other. That beings said, a score in the 160s so soon most likely means you are off to a great start. It’s possible that feeling off on the first exam impacted your score. If guessing didn’t impact your score a lot I would just take the average between the two exams as your diagnostic.

• Dkimvisionmaker11Dkimvisionmaker11 Alum Member
    78 karma

How about taking another one (June 2007) and average the three scores?

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

It isn't really that important. You should be much more concerned with where you are going than where you are coming from. I would strongly recommend not taking more of the newer tests before starting your prep. Taking tests on a whim is usually not a good idea.

Given your comments, you are probably starting from around a mid 150s/low 160s level. Either way, both are excellent starting points.