SAD ... LSAT

sarahsaints92sarahsaints92 Alum Member
in General 14 karma

I have been beating myself up on my LSAT scores. This is only my 2nd week of studying and I should be easier on myself; I got a 150 on my first practice and a 144 on my diagnostic.......I have a 3.9 GPA. Is this normal? I'm a perfectionist and I am really trying to get into a great school. Goal score of 163-167. Is this even possible? I just want to make a difference in the world. :/

Comments

• cris1222cris1222 Member
    186 karma

Hey Sarah! This is completely normal, trust me I was there for quite sometime. I am finally approaching the 160s after a little over a year of studying. With that being said, my biggest piece of advice would be to finish up the curriculum and internalize it as much as possible. Don't rush through anything and make sure you truly understand the fundamentals (especially pertaining to formal logic).

General tips that are helping me (finally haha):

1. Early in my studying I wish I would have created an abbreviated study sheet, meaning for each LR question type, have a list of what the question stems look like and a quick approach.

2. Don't go crazy with trying to be perfect and documenting every little detail on your progress. I did that and it was super inefficient (and overwhelming) and I created a lot of busy work. I would recommend that while you work on the curriculum, take some untimed sections (then build up to timed sections). Drill the question types and get to a point of fluency. Keep a question type journal and see what areas are always tripping you up and some quick reminders.

3. Once you finish the curriculum, ease into taking a test a week (maximum two) and focus on blind reviewing. The review process helps you see what you really need to skip on test day :smile: and where you should be racking up relatively easy points. When you are taking tests, be weary of looking for perfect answer choices. Play the game of elimination, as much as possible when you are under timed conditions.

4. In the beginning of my study process, I wish I would have foolproofed games so much more! It would have helped me ease into timed logic games sections a bit more easily. It's totally doable if you don't foolproof during the curriculum and do it afterwards but I would say do it while going through the games section of the curriculum.

Send me any questions that you have, I'm still learning but I'm at a point where I am focusing on the process rather than the score. And it helps with nerves (especially when taking PTs) and will help you get over barriers with the right mindset.

• legallybrunette-23legallybrunette-23 Core Member
    37 karma

Don't be so hard on yourself! I got a 142 on my diagnostic because I had no idea how to even approach the logic games section. Now, after 4 weeks, I'm only getting 2-3 questions wrong on LG. Just be patient and give yourself time to learn- and don't take your diagnostic score to heart!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

lol its only been a week of studying! Take it easy on yourself. I got a 156 after 2 months of the CC. And now im at low 170s high 160s consistently. Youll be fine! :)

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

Most people put months into studying. You just started. Relax. Yes your goal is possible. Focus on putting the work in and the score will come later.

• WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
    476 karma

some people study for 18 months before taking this exam! you are too early in the process. keep studying!!

• This_is_HardThis_is_Hard Alum Member
    815 karma

I know of someone who studied for 4 years. Don't sweat it. Also, just because you got a high GPA does not mean you will have a high LSAT score.

• mellomelmellomel Alum Member
    292 karma

I agree with everything that's been said. Also even though it's normal to worry, it has the potential to really mess with your process. I tend to see better results whenever I manage to loosen up a little and more importantly when I believe in myself. I managed to increase my score by 23 points since my diagnostic and I'm still working on it. I'd suggest being mindful of this kind of futile negative thinking and taking care of it either through meditation, exercise, social life or really anything to help you grounded. Your goal sounds doable with those numbers and I believe that you can achieve it if you believe in yourself too!