Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't improve LR?? Any advice on how to minimize errors or strategies to guess certain ones?

lsat12345lsat12345 Alum Member

I consistently get 10-12 wrong on every LR section. I have tried improving for a month and it has stayed relatively the same. I'm doing the August LSAT so I don't have much time to do a full on core curriculum redo, now I'm focusing on just damage control. Any advice? Thanks!

Comments

• tmizzledtmizzled Core Member
    45 karma

There could be many reasons why you're missing them, but I know for me the most dramatic change I saw was by truly understanding what each question stem is asking. If you don't have time to finish the curriculum, I'd suggest making notes on the steps to tackle each type of LR question, and then try memorizing them so that when you see a question stem, you immediately now what steps you need to take. Then try applying them on each question you face in a LR section. This tip alone probably gave me an extra +5. No guarantee it would work for you since I don't know exactly why you're missing questions, but it most certainly would not hurt and does not take too much time.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Just general advice:

-Spend a long time BR every single LR question you take in a PT, even ones you didn't flag or think were difficult under timed conditions. Quality > quantity with practice
    -Read multiple explanations (Manhattan Prep, PowerScore, etc) for LR questions that tripped you up, even if you got them right on a PT. Multiple perspectives helps a ton.

• lsat12345lsat12345 Alum Member
    49 karma

@tmizzled said:
    There could be many reasons why you're missing them, but I know for me the most dramatic change I saw was by truly understanding what each question stem is asking. If you don't have time to finish the curriculum, I'd suggest making notes on the steps to tackle each type of LR question, and then try memorizing them so that when you see a question stem, you immediately now what steps you need to take. Then try applying them on each question you face in a LR section. This tip alone probably gave me an extra +5. No guarantee it would work for you since I don't know exactly why you're missing questions, but it most certainly would not hurt and does not take too much time.

Would you recommend reading the stem before tackling the passage?

• serenas3serenas3 Member
    edited August 2020 17 karma

@lsat12345 said:

@tmizzled said:

Would you recommend reading the stem before tackling the passage?

Skim to find what the question stem is asking you to do (e.g. are you looking to strengthen or weaken the argument, trying to find the flaw, etc.), then read the stimulus with the purpose in mind and read the stem again - this is important especially if it is an Argument Part question.

Re-reading the stem should take only 5 seconds as you are confirming what you have to do.