Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Basic Translation Group 2

JustinaJJustinaJ Alum Member
in General 223 karma
Okay, this may sound random. In group one it goes
Ex: "All Jedi use the force"
J -> F
/F -> /J

Group 2 goes:
Ex: "Only the good die young"
D -> G
/G -> /D

Why in group two does it go right to left on top versus left to right like group one?
Did i miss something in the videos?

Comments

• Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    In the Lawgic curriculum, JY has basically set out certain formulaic methods for the different groups... so the part that follows the group 2 indicator becomes the necessary condition.
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    At least that was how I understood it.. my course has expired... @jdawg113 @emli1000 @"Allison M" ... still have theirs so they should be able to explain this better.
  • kendallMkendallM Free Trial Member
    66 karma
    You missed a very crucial element of lsat. It seems as though you are a lsat beginner so don't worry you will catch up soon.

Basically All indicates sufficient
    Only constitutes necessary.
    THE ONLY constitutes sufficient.

All red objects are trucks
    RO ---> T
    /T ----> \RO

Only the good die young
    DY ----> G
    \G ----> /DY

The only fun game is logic game
    FG ----> LG
    /LG ----> /FG

I would highly recommend you review your sufficient and necessary language indicators.
  • JustinaJJustinaJ Alum Member
    223 karma
    No, I understand which words indicate sufficient and which words indicate necessary conditions. I just am confused as too why they get reversed... am i confusing you?
    edited March 2015 66 karma
    Well if you understand sufficient and necessary language then I don't know why your confused about the second statement getting reversed. The second one starts with Only that's why G is on the necessary part. As I have explained, Only indicates necessary.

I am worried when you say "I understand which words indicate sufficent and necessary" but your question wouldn't be posted if you really did. As I have mentioned in the first post, I would highly recommend reviewing your sufficient and necessary language.
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    @JustinaJ no not at all... as you know... JY has split indicators up into 4 major groups... each of those groups has certain formulaic steps associated with them... the formulaic steps associated with group 2 indicators such as 'only' are that the part that follows 'only' (or any other group 2 indicator) becomes the necessary condition... that is EXACTLY what group two indicators are there to tell you... they are saying "Hey I'm a group 2 word... I'm a FLAG - I'm here to tell you that the part that follows me will be the necessary condition i.e. it will be placed after the implication arrow" ... does this make it clearer?
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Only is group two so it is in the Necessary condition.

Ex: "Only the good die young"

Only the good = necessary
    Die young = sufficient

D-->G
    /G-->/D

*don't forget that they can place either condition in the beginning or at the end.
    3438 karma
    Also remember the sole exception to group 2... THE ONLY... "The only" is group 1.
    3462 karma
    Yea yea yea :)
    ^ basically everything I had written in the first post.

edited March 2015 3462 karma
    Well @JustinaJ did say "...I just am confused as to why they get reversed."
    66 karma
    Yep he did. And that's because it's necessary and the other one was sufficient
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Everyone learns differently. Let's not be rude about it.
    @"Dillon A. Wright" I don't know who the message is aimed at but I was not being rude. I apologize if that's how it seemed. I explained it clearly with examples provided.

I am definitely no pro at lsat, I am sorry if I had offended anyone. But lets not get butt hurt over nothing lol perhaps my recommendation seemed rude but there is no way to sugar code that.

[user was banned for this comment.]
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @kendallM Please stop making new accounts, royaimani. :/
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 2654 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" should just have a constant IP search going :P ... or ban the IP itself lol

@JustinaJ yeah are you sure you aren't confusing "only" and "the only"? I tend to do that a bit here and there and it is killer until I notice what happened. Idk if I fully understand the confusion. Is it that you just don't understand why the indicators do as they do? like why "only" is necessary and why "the only" is sufficient?
    I would just slowly dissect everything and see if it makes sense wording wise. if you have "the only" if something is the only of something else (the only clean water is in bottles) then we know if it is clean water it must be in a bottle because the only water that is clean is in bottles but if it is just "only" things change (Only bottles have clean water) notice how it is in a different order but says the same thing! because if it is clean water is has to be in a bottle since bottles are the only things that have clean water.
    When you break down the condition in English and really look at it you can see why the indicator does what it does
    Sorry if I misinterpreted your confusion
    223 karma
    @emli1000 nowwwwww I get what I was doing wrong... your explanation helped me! Thank you!!!! and I am a SHE for anyone who called me a HE lol :) Thanks Everyone I appreciate it so much! This is why I love 7Sage :)
    223 karma
    @Nilesh S "Hey I'm a group 2 word... I'm a FLAG - I'm here to tell you that the part that follows me will be the necessary condition i.e. it will be placed after the implication arrow" ... does this make it clearer? --- YES. Thank you!
    3438 karma
    @JustinaJ glad you got your problem solved... @jdawg113 and if there were an award for persistence it would have to go to that user :P
    223 karma
    Who has that much time on their hands?!! SHEESH! lol
    3462 karma
    Glad that helped! I figured from your question that you were confused about why the necessary condition was place first instead of the sufficient condition. I remember when I went through that lesson JY mentioned that the order did not matter how they presented it to you. It is your job to figure out what goes before and after the arrow. So I'm guessing that's what it was. Also, for there indicators I would recommend making flashcards :) they are extremely crucial for you to know if these indicators are sufficient or necessary.
    223 karma
    Thanks! I did the quiz and understood it completely after I realized what I did wrong :) Thanks again @emli1000
    3462 karma
    Did you get a 100%? lol
    223 karma
    YES!!!! @emli1000 ! I caught myself when it was wrong :) I really appreciate you taking the time out to explain
    3462 karma
    That's great! & no problem! @JustinaJ