Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timeline/Advice

harrismeganharrismegan Member
in General 2074 karma
Does anyone ever take an extended break?

I’ve entered into my second bikini competition for this May (17th). Basically, my calories will be reduced heavily, especially in the weeks as we get closer to it. I’ll be doing weight lifting and quite a bit of cardio, so a lot of my time will be spent in the gym.
I am planning on writing the October 2015 LSAT, as I want to not rush this prep or my LSAT studying and make the most of both. So far, I’ve been working out from 3:50-5:30 AM, getting to work for 7, studying from 7-8:30 AM, studying on my lunch break from 12-1, and taking the nights off.

I’ve gone through the LSAT Ultimate course twice now. I just finished the second time. In the AM I go through Cambridge Reading Comprehensions. First time through I do it under timed conditions, and second time through (sometime later on in the week) I go slower so I can really focus on identifying AO, OPA, and reading for structure over content.
I then do 1 LG set. I note the questions that are tougher and drill them on the weekend. I also do more reading comp on the weekends. During my lunch break I drill by question type for LR. I’m doing 1-60 of all of the packages first, and then I’ll finished 60-all when I go through my prep tests and need additional drilling for questions. In the AMs when I get ready I read through notes that I have made.

Since the LSAT is in October, I struggle a lot with mentally letting go of not studying 4-5 hours a day like I did before the December LSAT. Does anyone see anything wrong with my study method? I think it allows me enough exposure to everything so I can gain skill and not lose ability. I fear that, if I were to go right into the prep tests now, I would be so tired/exhausted from my low calorie diet that I wouldn’t be making the most of them.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks!!

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    definitely sounds like a tricky situation. I would think your mental focus would be affected by the stress of your workouts plus your deficit since that is your energy to fuel your body AND mind. Would it be a waste though? idk about that. I mean you have so much time before October that going through PTs now would leave nothing untouched or without being done multiple times. I would maybe thing about more drilling (maybe Cambridge most difficult packets) and once youre through those + thorough review of it all start the lower end of the PTs and work your way up as you get past your competition and can start giving yourself the nutrition to keep your mind on point
  • MisterMagicMisterMagic Alum Member
    89 karma
    Hey! I'm a competitive cyclist, and I do weight training and boxing as well. You know how to "peak" for competition I'm sure! Same approach for LSAT. I know EXACTLY what you mean about being mentally drained/calories/time etc. I can make it all work for me, but everyone's situation is unique. I personally think that the October LSAT is WAY out front for you, especially given that you're so far into your studying. The only thing I see with your comments is the timing. It it were me, I'd do the June test for multiple reasons (not the least of which is that the June test is in the afternoon and scores are typically higher...). Having the test 6 months away would cause me to be lax. I thrive under pressure, and without it, I procrastinate and lose discipline and undertake other challenges. The pressure of the June deadline would help me focus, and the wait for Oct. would cause me to lose that focus and perhaps become distracted.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I think you're doing good. Since you've already finished the course, now you're still studying by drilling and you're improving in those sections as well right? No need to get into PT mode now when you still have a long time if you'll be taking it in Oct.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    It's okay to take an extended break from the LSAT. Sure, things will be a bit fuzzy when you return to study, but you should pick it up again quickly.

I'm sure the competition involves tons of hard work - both physically and mentally. In that regard, it might be similar to the LSAT. Good luck in both endeavours!