Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any one else realistically targeting the mid/upper 170's?

VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
edited August 2020 in General 2054 karma

Not because I'm a masochist but because my undergrad grades were absolute garbage I am trying to score as high as possible on the LSAT. I'm PTing in the 170's now, but ideally want a 176 or better in a desperate bid for full/near full rides at lower T14`s/top 25's. Is anyone else working towards/has worked towards those kind of numbers? Do you have advice? Are you looking for a study partner? How do you feel about the Flex? I know my most recent PT was a 174, but as a Flex could have been anywhere from a 170 to a 178 depending on which of the five sections was included. I can't decide if that should stress me out or give me confidence.

Comments

• EllegoalsEllegoals Member
    342 karma

Not sure what you mean by "Flex could have been anywhere from a 170 to a 178 depending on which of the five sections was included." All flex tests are just one section of LR, one RC and one LG.

But to answer your question, a lot of people are targeting mid to upper 170's. If you can do it, try and go for it. Good luck!

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

My recent PT was a 174 as well (simulated flex PT65). I am taking the Oct flex and am in a somewhat similar situation; due to finances, I essentially need a full ride, so I need to get a little higher in my score over the next six weeks which I believe is doable. I have managed -0 on LG and LR, and -2 RC (during different PTs though). Depending on what score you end up with, you should consider applying for Boston U's early decision which has a full scholarship.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    edited August 2020 2054 karma

@WouldRatherBeEating I didn't know that about Boston U. That is really interesting. I looked at Wash U for that reason but they're changing how they do their ED scholarships this year and the details aren't out. I am pretty sure now I am not going down that route as a super-splitter since I may well get full rides at a variety of schools and could also be rejected anywhere with my stats.

My problem with Boston U, which is technically still on my list but has dropped down to a 2nd/3rd tier focus, is that 1. I don't really want to live in Boston. Somewhat tongue in cheek, but Patriots fans are annoying enough ten thousand miles away from Boston 2. I don't want to deal with the cost of living in Boston. I am bending this for NU, but am trying to avoid schools in expensive cities. 3. BU feels a bit more pretentious/New England preppy for my taste and 4. I just much prefer the programs/atmosphere at Wash U, Duke, Northwestern, UVA, Vanderbilt and Emory, which, along with UNC for in-state and Texas make up my first/1.5 tier. That said, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at a full ride at BU. I'll give them another look.

@Ellegoals Thanks. I appreciate it. It will take both work and luck but important things usually do. What I mean by variable Flex score is that I took a Full five section PT with 2 LRs and 2 LGs. My LRs were -0 and -4 and my LGs were -0 and -1(un-scored section). My RC was -3. I got a score of 174 on the full PT, but on a Flex I would have had either the -4 or the -0 for LR. That is a huge difference. LG could also have been different. So, if it was the un-scored LG section and the second LR section I would have had -8 total on the exam. If it was the perfect LG and LR sections than I would have had -3 total on the exam. I think that works out to about a 169/170 and a 178 for the Flex. Getting a lucky LR versus an LR you personally find more difficult will have a bigger impact on the Flex. Getting better at the most challenging LR questions so that I can be more consistent, cutting the variance to -0 to -3 on LR or -0 to -2 on LR means even if I have a section I find harder missing those few points will still give me a good shot at a 175 or better. I found the second LR section on my most recent test absolutely brutal and wasn't sure about a number of the questions I did get right in addition to the ones I got wrong.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2020 8318 karma

I'm targeting that range, just because my dream endstate would be academia, so max chance at T6 would be nice. My GPA is CN > HYSC median and my app has both really strong points and red flags... basically I feel like I need that edge. PTing 171 4 section right now (as high as 175 flex) with 178-180 range BR.

2054 karma

@canihazJD What are you doing differently to train for a 174-180 versus a 165-170?

I am definitely not in contention for HYS regardless of LSAT, my GPA in undergrad was awful, but I think I have a shot in lower T14 and with a strong enough LSAT I hope I can get great scholarships somewhere in the teens/bottom half of T14. If not there are plenty of schools in the 20's that are great options, but prestige of degree makes such an extreme difference in career trajectory.

• seriouslyseriously Alum Member
    edited August 2020 199 karma

Hey! I was in the same position as you. I followed this method (https://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=224488), and I get a 174 on an off day. Just got a 180 right before my August test. So I def would recommend!

2054 karma

Thanks a ton @seriously I know I can get that high, I started with a 165 diagnostic. I just need to increase my performance a little and ensure consistency.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8318 karma

@VerdantZephyr said:
    @canihazJD What are you doing differently to train for a 174-180 versus a 165-170?

I think whereas 165-170 is primarily honing application of fundamentals, moving to mid 170s is more a matter of fine tuning, working timing strategies, crisis management, and addressing those curve-breaker questions efficiently under time. My issues are mostly stupid mistakes, especially on LG, allowing noise over signal in those harder LR stimuli, and dumping time where I shouldn't be. I'm not as strong as I'd like in games, so thats my primary work leading to this weekend, after which I'm going to settle down a bit. Of course there's always that element of luck as well. I can rock a -0 in any section, but have yet to do it all in one test. All this gets magnified with flex where one question can mean a 2 point difference.

2054 karma

I know. That aspect of flex stressed me out, especially since LR is the section I am strongest in overall. If you miss a couple on one LR there isn't the second one to perfect.