Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can a necessary assumption answer be a strengthening answer?

jhsujhsu Alum Member

In other words, does a necessary assumption of an argument strengthens the argument? For example, if a stimulus argue that environmental factors caused X instead of genetics, would an answer choice like “environmental factors can sometimes cause X,” which I think is a NA, be strengthening the argument? I honestly think it does, though not much, since it shows that the argument is possible. And if it does, do all NA strengthen it’s pertaining arguments?

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I wouldn't say that necessary assumptions are strengthening the argument. They are just the essential component to the argument that was left out. Without that component, the argument fails. Sometimes the trap answer choice for NA questions will be something that strengthens the argument but is not necessary.

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    4306 karma

In one of the videos JY mentions that strengthening is a super set of different LR questions, SA/PSA/NA. He said that in a sense SA/PSA/NA are strengthening. I would just err on the side of caution of thinking all NA strengthen

• jhsujhsu Alum Member
    14 karma

@"Law and Yoda" said:
    In one of the videos JY mentions that strengthening is a super set of different LR questions, SA/PSA/NA. He said that in a sense SA/PSA/NA are strengthening. I would just err on the side of caution of thinking all NA strengthen

Totally forgot about JY's videos! Thanks!