lsat 176, cgpa 2.55 - Canadian law chances?

simonsapien91simonsapien91 Free Trial Member
in General 6 karma

Hi there, here are my stats:

Cgpa 2.55
Last 2 - 2.85
Best 3 - 2.9
Lsat 176
Had depression/issues - documented

Do I stand a chance at UofT/McGill/Law with my LSAT? Or am I hopeless?

All replies welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

What GPA scale is this on?

edited August 2020 795 karma

My jaw is literally hanging open at your score! You're definitely a splitter. Congrats on the amazing LSAT.

I'm also Canadian and I've heard that our law schools place more of an emphasis on GPA than American schools do. With that in mind, I think you would have a better chance at an American school since the LSAT generally matters more there. But both your GPA and your LSAT are so unique that I genuinely don't know how you would be viewed. Is there any way to take some extra courses to improve your GPA?

I'm in a similar position as you where my cGPA is waaaay lower than a lot of these schools' medians. I think your depression issues are a valid explanation and the fact that they're documented will reflect well on you, too. How do your extracurriculars/work experience look? I don't think you're hopeless but you may need to adjust your goals.

edited August 2020 795 karma

@kilgoretrout said:
    My jaw is literally hanging open at this! You're definitely a splitter. Congrats on the amazing score.

I'm also Canadian and I've heard that our law schools place more of an emphasis on GPA than American schools do. With that in mind, I think you would have a better chance at an American school since the LSAT generally matters more there. But both your GPA and your LSAT are so unique that I genuinely don't know how you would be viewed. Is there any way to take some extra courses to improve your GPA?

I'm in a similar position as you where my cGPA is waaaay lower than a lot of these schools' medians. I think your depression issues are a valid explanation and the fact that they're documented will reflect well on you, too. How do your extracurriculars/work experience look?

• simonsapien91simonsapien91 Free Trial Member
    edited August 2020 6 karma

thanks! On a 4.0 scale.

Truthfully, I cant afford to study in the US. I was hoping for Mcgill's lower tution or UT's financial aid.

I was basically rushed into uni by my parents who pushed me in a program I did not care for at an age I wasn't ready to study.

I'm smart and I know how to go after something I want, I just did not care for school back then. I wasn't ready and my environment was not good. I did not make friends in school and my grades were abysmal. I fell into a major hole and my parents refused to take me back home, telling me to finish regardless. The realiziation that I was way in over my head with debt at the age of 19 or 20 crushed me completely. The stress manifested in a physical condition that was completely debilitating until I resolved it all recently. It was difficult and doctors couldn't help. I failed a couple of courses and did not seek any academic recourse throught uni, I just wanted out of school.

I held a bunch of short term sales jobs after uni. I worked lots of random short term office contracts. No opportunities. I did a masters. Been fired 3 or 4 times. My work history is all over the place and I cant get a reference and apply as a mature student.no extra curriculars, I read books and exercise.

Pretty sad, I was hoping law school would help me straighten out my life with friends and career, but it looks pretty grim. Might as well call it quits and do something else. Given the time and money invested, I dont want to study at a subpar school... Law isnt like medicine; I'd rather find another path.

795 karma

@simonsapien91 said:

thanks! On a 4.0 scale.

Truthfully, I cant afford to study in the US. I was hoping for Mcgill's lower tution or UT's financial aid.

I was basically rushed into uni by my parents who pushed me in a program I did not care for at an age I wasn't ready to study.

I'm smart and I know how to go after something I want, I just did not care for school back then. I wasn't ready and my environment was not good. I did not make friends in school and my grades were abysmal. I fell into a major hole and my parents refused to take me back home, telling me to finish regardless. The realiziation that I was way in over my head with debt at the age of 19 or 20 crushed me completely. The stress manifested in a physical condition that was completely debilitating until I resolved it all recently. It was difficult and doctors couldn't help. I failed a couple of courses and did not seek any academic recourse throught uni, I just wanted out of school.

I held a bunch of short term sales jobs after uni. I worked lots of random short term office contracts. No opportunities. I did a masters. Been fired 3 or 4 times. My work history is all over the place and I cant get a reference and apply as a mature student.no extra curriculars, I read books and exercise.

Pretty sad, I was hoping law school would help me straighten out my life with friends and career, but it looks pretty grim. Might as well call it quits and do something else. Given the time and money invested, I dont want to study at a subpar school... Law isnt like medicine; I'd rather find another path.

What are your masters' grades like? There is an upward trend in your GPA, but your last 2 years GPA should be higher than a 2.85. Based on your reply it sounds like you might need to get other areas of your life in line first (maybe a more stable job that you can put on your resume, extracurriculars or volunteering) and then apply to law school later, presenting a fuller picture of someone who has shown a lot of growth. But you don't sound that committed so maybe a different path is a better idea! Good luck :)

• Manik PanicManik Panic Core Member
    111 karma

SIMONSAPIEN.. just want to say, excellent LSAT. ANd you can succeed in many areas....
    I wonder if maybe you have ADHD. Lots of our story is similar, though I relate to so many people (Pisces-Ariest Cusp lol). Anyways, I did well when I could write tests alone. Took til 30 plus to realize not only do I have ADHD, I have hEDS (Ehlers Danlos, probably the most common type, but classifications will change).

Anyways, I wrote the LSAT in the pandemic, studied hard in 2019, but yeah I had no ADHD doc, nor accomodations. Now I will. I will try. When I study hard, I do really well on LR and RC, LG I will definitely... work on that.

Anyways, I have backup options and already am earning in some self employment.
    I wonder if you had untreated ADHD in your first uni attampts. And then the sales jobs after... having to leave at times. Just a thought. And yeah you wrote this a long time ago. So you probably won't read this, but if I can help someone in a similar circumstance, I had to at least try. Hope you're doing well now mate.