Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading from E to A

aszane21aszane21 Member
in General 350 karma

I remember vaguely a teacher in high school telling us to read the answers from E to A for the ACT. Could the same apply for the LSAT? I feel like A is a common place for trap answers.

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited September 2020 4306 karma

I will start from E to A on some questions but have no actual reason as to why I choose to flow in that direction. I have noticed that I typically will do this if 1) The stimulus is long and the AC are long (like PF or parallel MOR), 2) I can't understand A so I quickly start from E to just restart my mindset, 3) My gut says to start from E. These are arbitrary reasons and something I've just always had the habit of doing on test so it really just depends on your level of comfort and method!

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    905 karma

I usually read from E to A - especially on the long (parallel) or harder questions. Not sure that I've noticed any benefit to it, though. ... But for the extra-long parallel questions, I find it easier to minimize the wrong answer from the bottom-up versus the top-down. ... Plus, working from E to A forces me to read every answer choice, as an added benefit. I am cautious, though, because E is also a trap like A.

• chsc3555chsc3555 Member
    66 karma

I'm not sure this actually helps me, but I often read the answer choices in random order -- especially if I am looking for 1 specific answer. It seems like the first one I glance at is frequently the one I'm looking for.

• workingforitworkingforit Member
    45 karma

I usually read from A to E but also sometimes randomly find myself going from E to A. One thing that helps me avoid the A trap answer choice issue is when I choose A I try to force myself to read, or at least skim, all the other answer choices to confirm A as the best choice and that I didn't just take the bait on something too quickly.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I don't think A is a common place for trap answer choices, but I do know that the trap answer choice is often the one right above the correct answer choice. So reading from E to A may help avoid picking the trap. No matter where you start you should still be reading each answer choice thoroughly.