Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting on Behalf of a 7Sage User: I have a question that I am confused about something.

Theo - Student ServiceTheo - Student Service Member Moderator Student Services
in General 848 karma

[I am posting on behalf of a 7Sage user:]

If there is a sentence that has words from 2 different groups in lawgic, for example, Beth Cannot (group 4) go to the store without (group 3) Tim. Do i have to negate both ideas? and how do I find which is the sufficient? I hope this makes sense!

Comments

71 karma

Hi there,

I hope I'm not late.

If the sentence is: "Beth cannot go to the store without Tim," I would just translate it using group 3, with the word "without." I do this because group 3 is "negate anything, and make it sufficient."

I already know that Beth is negative (i.e. Beth cannot go), so using group 3 translation, I would just negate this term, making it positive, and leaving it as sufficient.

So after the translation, it would go like,

Orig: Beth cannot go to the store without Tim.
    Trans: Beth can go to the store [only when/with] Tim.

To fully answer your question, you'll see a lot of LR questions with group 3/4 translations combined. Your example is a perfect example of this. Usually when I see that (/A unless B), I automatically translate it using group 3, making it ( A --> B).

Hope this helped. Sorry for the late reply.