Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR Question that is weighing on my mind...

So, I have 5 LOR that I can use. 3/5 are from people that I had an extremely close relationship with and still keep in contact with, they want me to succeed and also they are important people/professors from my undergrad, and I know they wrote GREAT things.

The other 2/5 are professors that I had a great relationship with as well, and was #1 in their classes, but their communications with me has been extremely poor which has me worried of what they might have written. One of them is from a Western Civ course that had a huge class, debates, and I was the top student, and the professor was initially happy to write a letter... The other is from a practical reasoning / logic course / game theory that I was also top in his class, but he didn't seem thrilled to write a letter and communication extremely lacking.

Considering I have the option to submit up-to 4 letters, should I just go with the 3 I know are very strong and only submit 3/4? Or would having 4/4 be better even if I am unsure what the other two might have written? Should I contact them both and share my concerns with them?

Advice please

Comments

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

Hm. This is tough. I wouldn't contact any of them, first and foremost. Are you certain the other letters aren't as strong? I think your professors would know that they're supposed to toot your horn here and make you look good to law schools, so they probably wouldn't agree to writing a letter if they're not going to do that.

That being said I've read on 7Sage that the most important thing for LORs is that they make you look good, not who it's from, how many you have, etc. So if you really think the other letters won't be that flattering, I'd leave them out. It's best to have three strong letters than three strong ones and one mediocre one.