Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Drills for Correlation and Causation? - 7Sage Forum

Drills for Correlation and Causation?

arunima.b12arunima.b12 Core Member

Hi! Does anyone know what is the best way to drill for correlation and causation questions? I am having a really hard time grasping that concept even after going through the core curriculum. I need more practice. If you know of a list of prep test questions about causation and correlation OR if you have any suggestions for drills please let me know!

Comments

• lsatdiva333lsatdiva333 Member
    227 karma

I'm actually wondering the same here!!

• sammmm93sammmm93 Alum Member
    233 karma

Not sure there's a list of C-C Qs to drill besides what's on the syllabus, unfortunately. What aspect of that concept aren't you understanding? Do you get how a correlation doesn't always lead to causation? Are you confused on how to strengthen or weaken a C-C argument? When I first started prep I struggled identifying that a given stimulus even involved correlation causation logic. Same with Phenomena stimuli so I made a list of phenomena indicators

• arunima.b12arunima.b12 Core Member
    112 karma

@sammmm93 Literally the last statement you made is my issue! I struggle to identify that a given stimulus includes CC logic. What worked for you? I did the core curriculum for that but when I do questions on my own I just dont get that its CC in midst of all the jargon. So, I feel like I need more practice on specifically the questions that have those logic.

• sammmm93sammmm93 Alum Member
    233 karma

What worked best for me was when I began to read to understand. IE reading with the purpose of understanding exactly what it is I was reading. Your comprehension should always be your priority (tho on certain Q types the degree of analysis varies eg MCs). You'll be surprised how much you read w/o actually capturing what the sentence is saying. This confusion is exacerbated with the introduction of new concepts, such as UQs and EQs, and focus on Q type strategies. A great drill for this is the Loophole's Translation drill. Essentially, it has you paraphrase every sentence after/as you read it. You can find out how to do it on reddit. Do a section a day for 2 weeks. This will help on pretty much every stimulus, not just C-C. The list of phenomenon indicators also helps. These can all indicate a phenomenon or correlation:

-An event
    -An occurrence
    -A %
    -A statistic
    -Comparative statistic
    -A Date
    -A Trend
    -A correlation

Typically, the stim will deal with a correlation and will directly or indirectly imply a casual relationship between the 2 things being correlated. Realize that most of the time, they're not gonna tell you "hey look this is a correlation. Therefore, A causes B." Make a list of causation indicators as well

• arunima.b12arunima.b12 Core Member
    112 karma

Thank you so much @sammmm93 This is really helpful!!