Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Pencil Thread (7Sage style)

1235»

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    Is there a rule against carpenter pencils on the LSAT?

Not to my knowledge. How badass would it be to show up with some flat carpenter pencils?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Hey everyone!

These original Staedtler Wopex pencils are amazing. They are similar to the new neon green ones, but the lead is a bit less waxy. They are a good cross between the soft, creamy Noricas and the hard, long lasting new Wopexs. They are a bit pricey in comparison but JY uses these (as seen in his live commentary videos) so clearly if you want a 180... ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Graphite-Pencil-Sharpener-Germany/dp/B01MZX1Z7D/ref=pd_ybh_a_18?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6E8SNBERSP3VKQZV6BSA

The only downside was that these took like a month to finally arrive. So if you're planning on taking in September, I don't think you'll receive them in time.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

If you thought that we are crazy, then take a look at this: http://www.pencilrevolution.com

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@uhinberg said:
    If you thought that we are crazy, then take a look at this: http://www.pencilrevolution.com

Holy mother of god! I think I've found my new favorite website. I cannot thank you enough @uhinberg -- this will keep me busy for weeks. :dizzy:

2326 karma

And check out this smorgasbord of pencils. Very tempting! https://www.jetpens.com/JetPens-Wooden-Pencil-Sampler-HB/pd/15018

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

:heart: OMG a sampler for under $10!

This website is awesome because you can order single pencils #dope

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I'm still going with some basic ass #2 pencils haha

2326 karma

@"Alex Divine" At least we can rest assured that our pencil obsession is not some LSAT induced mania; there are clearly many others from other walks of life that are similarly obsessed.

• sandypantssandypants Alum Member
    231 karma

Sorry, I skimmed through this thread very quickly and didn't see the answer, but I was wondering if anyone knows if it's okay to use a 2B pencil on the LSAT? I really prefer the darkness and softness of the 2B, but I just wanted to make sure the scantron machines can scan this/it'll be okay. All through college 2B was fine for me on scantrons, but I wasn't sure how strict the LSAT is.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I'm sure most people who score in the 170s probably don't spend time worrying about pencils, haha. > @sandypants said:

Sorry, I skimmed through this thread very quickly and didn't see the answer, but I was wondering if anyone knows if it's okay to use a 2B pencil on the LSAT? I really prefer the darkness and softness of the 2B, but I just wanted to make sure the scantron machines can scan this/it'll be okay. All through college 2B was fine for me on scantrons, but I wasn't sure how strict the LSAT is.

Yes, 2B will be fine!

What kind of 2B pencils are your fav to use?

• sandypantssandypants Alum Member
    edited August 2017 231 karma

@"Alex Divine"

I love the Hi-Uni pencils when I have to use wooden pencils! I'm Japanese so my mom always just had them around since I was a kid, and I do prefer them to most American pencils (sorry!).

Edit: and thank you so much for your response!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@sandypants said:
    @"Alex Divine"

I love the Hi-Uni pencils when I have to use wooden pencils! I'm Japanese so my mom always just had them around since I was a kid, and I do prefer them to most American pencils (sorry!).

Edit: and thank you so much for your response!

No problem!
    The Uni pencils are so nice. I have a couple and they sharpen so nicely and help me write much neater :)

• doyeradoyera Alum Member
    47 karma

I didn't even THINK to look at what type of pencil I've been using. It's a Dixon. I'm horrified.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@doyera said:
    I didn't even THINK to look at what type of pencil I've been using. It's a Dixon. I'm horrified.

LOL :joy: I remember when I had that moment... The good news is it's not too late!

2326 karma

I might be making a correlation/causation error, but I think my link to the pencil sampler a day ago might have caused them to go out of stock. Did anyone (besides for me) end up ordering one?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@uhinberg said:
    I might be making a correlation/causation error, but I think my link to the pencil sampler a day ago might have caused them to go out of stock. Did anyone (besides for me) end up ordering one?

Right here buddy! :) I got it because I've been meaning to try out the Staedtler Mars Lumographs and the Unis. Plus for 10 bucks, can't go wrong.

Thanks again for posting that!

2326 karma

I'm hoping the Lumographs will provide that elusive Goldilocks state between the Wopex and the Norica. I don't like how the Wopex writes, but the Norica doesn't stay sharp even for a single logic game.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@uhinberg said:
    I'm hoping the Lumographs will provide that elusive Goldilocks state between the Wopex and the Norica. I don't like how the Wopex writes, but the Norica doesn't stay sharp even for a single logic game.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. If you haven't already, try to get your hands on the original Wopex pencils. They are black, a bit larger, and the lead is less waxy. They write much better than the newer green ones. Still, I have high hopes for the Lumographs! Can't wait until they come next week!!!

2326 karma

Got the sampler in the mail. I am really, really impressed with all the Mitsubishis. The Lumograph does indeed seem to be somewhere in between the Norica and the Wopex, but I gotta say, I think the Japanese pencils are superior.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Got the sampler in the mail. I am really, really impressed with all the Mitsubishis. The Lumograph does indeed seem to be somewhere in between the Norica and the Wopex, but I gotta say, I think the Japanese pencils are superior.

Mine is coming tomorrow. I'm so stoked to try those Mitsubishis finally!

Happy to hear you're loving them so far!

• bklsat05bklsat05 Member
    177 karma

Guy's I have some reviews!!

I purchased the following pencils:

Black Tri (THICK ones) from Staples
    Mitsubishi #1 -
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BKZVWU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mitsubishi #2 (hi-uni)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B8RFPI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tri Con Sharpener:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E67Z16/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

STAEDTLER #1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L13HH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

STAEDTLER #2 Staedtler Norica HB #2 (Black ones, 36 pk staples)

Blackwing Sharpener.

Yes, I went a bit crazy..

SO!

Rank #5 STAEDTLER Norica - These black pencils are cheap and come presharpened in a 36 pack. Well good thing there are 36 of them because by the time you finish LG section you will need a new pack! (not really, but the lead goes FAST) Even with the blackwing the lead just drains. It's not worth it for this exam.

Rank #4 STAEDTLER #1 - Mars Lumograph HB/#2 - This is a step up from the Norica. BTW - Staedtler "designed in germany - NOT MADE IN GERMANY" Sort of misleading and I don't like that. The lead quality is better, VERY DARK - do not think you will erase at all. Overall they are good for BR, using them as a side pencil during LR/RC but honestly it's not worth the money. I would probably just use the cheapo 36 pack during BR. Another issue, is with the blackwing sharpener the tip constantly breaks off once you are past 30% of the pencil. What kinda crap is this? It takes double the pencil length to sharpen after using it a few times???? NOT OK.

Rank #3 - Mitsubishi Pencil pencil with pencil eraser 9850 hardness HB K9850HB - This is a good pencil. It's got your basic pencil elements, lead, wood, eraser in an easy to use shape that you can hold in your hand! It's not the iPhone of pencils but it works. It's just OK. Nothing really to write home about, but that isn't exactly a bad thing here. Smooth writing and the eraser is half-functioning so you don't have to switch hands.

Rank #2 - Black Thick TriCons - Now I haven't tried the "My First Pencil" tri''s nor have I tried the Black thin Tri's but this was my go to pencil since I wrote the Sept 16 exam last year. They write well, the lead lasts through 2LG if needed and the eraser is OK if you preerase beforehand. It's not a Lamborghini but it's not Buick. I would suggest this if you don't want to break the bank and don't want your pencil sliding off your table. Plus if you use a good eraser you can get some of those marks off (I know JY says don't erase but.... sometimes you gotta!)

Rank #1, by far hands down the winner - Mit Hi-Uni.

This thing just screams 180! You can write with it non-stop. The lead just is of such high quality it doesn't fade. I am so curious about the Blackwing Pencils now because there is really a hugh difference between an OK pencil and this pencil and really nothing in between. Try this pencil people! I've put a link where I ordered it but you can look on your own. The pencil case is nice - I don't know if you can bring it on the LSAT day. The one drawback is no eraser but who the heck cares when your still have a point on your pencil more than 50% through LG? Now I still would use one pencil per game but that is up to you.

SHARPENERS:

The blackwing is amazing. It has two holes - one to sharpen the pencil and another to sharpen the TIP! Get this - if you don't sharpen the tip you have a pretty long tip that is circular........HELLO EASY BUBBLES! I don't sharpen the tip on my bubble pencils anymore. Designed & MADE IN GERMANY. Even the inner sharpener is MADE IN GERMANY, not like Staedtler.

For LG you sharpen the tip and you have the best pencil ever.

The Staedtler was supposed to be used for my Tri-Cons. I hate it. It gives a sharp tip but it is so short. I used an XACTO mounted one in the library before to sharpen the Tri Cons. I would try to use that again. It gets the job done but it just feels weird. It's an OK sharpener at best. If you are not using Tri-Cons GET THE BLACKWING! You won't regret it.

TAKE THAT TLS!
    Much love sagers, and may the scores be forever in your favor.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@bklsat05 You are now a personal hero of mine! Great reviews and definitely appreciate the links to the exact pencils on Amazon. I can't wait to try the Unis I'll be getting in the mail today.

Question: Have you ever tried to original Staedtler Wopex pencils?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IGO9U0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3MS4DVIDF4K43&psc=1

These are my all-time favorite pencil for the LSAT. They have a long lasting point, write decently dark, and erase alright if you need. The only downside I find is that the tip pitts a bit when I first sharpen them. Once I write with it a bit it's fine, though.

edited August 2017 177 karma

@"Alex Divine" No I haven't used the Wopex, I went for the MARS Blue's first and already had $50 of pencils in my amazon cart I stopped myself LOL.

I really just love the Uni's so much I don't want to try anything else. Are the WOPEX made in germany or false advertised like the rest of the lineup?

I think what really got me was the blackwing sharpener and using it without sharpening the tip. You have a .5" treestub for a pencil tip and you can literally bubble in half the time.

I see now in the Live Commentary JY uses the Wopex

They have those Wopex blacks and Wopex greens, https://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Pencil-182-41CB18-NA/dp/B00IUT6PES/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1503929761&sr=1-1&keywords=wopex

It looks like the black are deff better. They look quite good too. Where is that credit card.... lol

Also as an ASIDE

I tried https://www.amazon.com/Paper-Mate-White-Pearl-Erasers/dp/B001B0GYRG/ref=sr_1_7?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1503929885&sr=1-7&keywords=erasers for my original LSAT and currently using https://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Mars-Plastic-Erasers-52650BK4/dp/B00006IFAN/ref=sr_1_9?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1503929885&sr=1-9&keywords=erasers

Although the Staedtler does work GREAT, I don't like how it feels in my hand. The Paper-mate are just as good but I can't find my old ones. Erasers don't matter since we shouldn't use them anyway.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@bklsat05 said:
    @"Alex Divine" No I haven't used the Wopex, I went for the MARS Blue's first and already had $50 of pencils in my amazon cart I stopped myself LOL.

I really just love the Uni's so much I don't want to try anything else. Are the WOPEX made in germany or false advertised like the rest of the lineup?

I think what really got me was the blackwing sharpener and using it without sharpening the tip. You have a .5" treestub for a pencil tip and you can literally bubble in half the time.

I see now in the Live Commentary JY uses the Wopex

They have those Wopex blacks and Wopex greens, https://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Pencil-182-41CB18-NA/dp/B00IUT6PES/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1503929761&sr=1-1&keywords=wopex

It looks like the black are deff better. They look quite good too. Where is that credit card.... lol

I'm pretty sure they're not made in Germany. I think my Wopex package said Canada? Either way, I have used the Green Wopex forever, and I like them, but the black ones have better lead quality. I feel you about not wanting to try another pencil once you've found the perfect one for you. As dumb as it sounds, my favorite part of the Wopex pencils are how big and heavy they are. I feel much more comfortable with these instead of the light, cheap feeling Norica.

177 karma

The Norica was a huge no-no. I was about to go into my study place of business when sitting in the car I'm like ok let's just try it on a fool proof game I already had nearly perfected... Well halfway through the game I needed another one! I'm like this is a joke, NEXT. Good thing it was like $5 for 36pack.

Staples gives you 5-10% off if you do in-store pickup. It's a longer wait because the staff don't know what they are doing but it's worth the discount!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@bklsat05 said:
    The Norica was a huge no-no. I was about to go into my study place of business when sitting in the car I'm like ok let's just try it on a fool proof game I already had nearly perfected... Well halfway through the game I needed another one! I'm like this is a joke, NEXT. Good thing it was like $5 for 36pack.

Staples gives you 5-10% off if you do in-store pickup. It's a longer wait because the staff don't know what they are doing but it's worth the discount!

Haha! I used to be a devoted lover of the Norcias and still think they're a great pencil; just not for the purpose of the LSAT for the reasons which you mention above. The sad thing is when I first started liking them I went to staples and they had a sale last fall where I was able to buy about 8 packs of 36 for something like 25 bucks. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of these cheap pencils, ugh.

Right now I'm a dedicated user of the Wopexs. However, that may change after I try these Mit Hi-Unis!

2326 karma

The general writing Mitsubishis are also very nice, and cheaper than the Hi Unis.

2326 karma

The Tombow Mono 100 that comes in the sampler is very similar to the Hi Uni. Both really high quality.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@bklsat05 I finally got my package and found my thoughts on the pencils similar to yours. One thing I don't love about the Japanese pencils is that they are too light for my preference. I guess I realized that I care less about how pencils write and more about their weight. I suppose that's why I love the original wopex!

I do admit that the Unis write beautifully!

2326 karma

I think I like the Tombow Mono 100 even more than the Hi Uni.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@uhinberg said:
    I think I like the Tombow Mono 100 even more than the Hi Uni.

It definitely keeps it's point and for some reason I feel like I write neater with the Tombrow compared to the Unis. I think I may like it more too! What a great sampler. Very impressed for $10

• Daniel BDaniel B Member
    79 karma

So are the Blackwing Pearls for sure approved for test day?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Daniel B" said:
    So are the Blackwing Pearls for sure approved for test day?

Yeah people have used them. They aren't #2 pencils but they work with the scantrons.