Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waiting for In-Person LSAT

Frenchy555Frenchy555 Live Member
in General 393 karma

Who else is waiting to take the traditionally administered LSAT once it returns? I feel like I'm at a disadvantage with the flex because LR is consistently one of my best sections and feel rushed with the 60 second breaks. Is there anyone who is or is thinking about holding off their application cycle because of this? Also, does anyone think admissions offices will react differently to applicants later in the cycle given the drastic immediate changes to the exam this year?

Comments

• dhw010dhw010 Core Member
    21 karma

i could be wrong, but even if covid didn't exist, weren't they going to switch to only online-administered exams after june 2020?

• mhf.andrewmhf.andrew Member
    207 karma

Yup, you are wrong. July, August, October, and November were all scheduled for in-person exams until their respective dates approached and the rate of Covid did not decline. You might be thinking about the switch to digital but in-person exams, which I believe LSAC transitioned to in June 2019.
    A note on waiting, too. It might not just simply be about whether you are good or not good at LR. Some might be waiting because they do not have tech/and or do not have a quiet space. My deadlines compel me take the flex in November, but for the sake of not benefiting the better off, I hope the in-person, more or less identical test environment, returns as soon as possible.

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Live Member
    540 karma

I'm holding out for in-person, but my instructor, says he thinks it's unlikely they'll switch back, even after COVID. He gave a lot of good reasons, one of them being that flex is much easier for LSAC logistically speaking. I'm still holding onto an ounce of hope. Waiting because there is just no way I could take it at home due to my environment (inside and outside). Studying alone is very difficult at home.

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

In the same boat as you. The FLEX is significantly harder for me than the traditional. I took the July Flex and was very disappointed with my score. I felt rushed and the whole thing felt like a blur. I should have cancelled my score, I was PTing about 6 points higher than my actual. As of now I am applying with what I have. I have already got into one of my target schools so I am guessing scores are lower than normal in this cycle. If the in person comes back, I am going to take it again and apply next cycle. Very frustrating!!!

• T14_HopefulT14_Hopeful Alum Member
    56 karma

Well, first of all, given the current COVID situation in the US (LSAC's biggest market), it is unlikely that LSAT will revert back to in-person any time soon. You might be waiting for a very long time.

Second, there are certain advantages of writing online. For example, shorter test time might mean better stamina. Flexible times might be good for people who don't want to get up early for 8:30 AM.

Third, I do not believe adcom will view LSAT Flex any differently, since (1) USNWR structure/importance remains unchanged (2) LSAT Flex is still the official LSAT for all intent and purposes until some other study reveals some inconsistency/issue with the Flex.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited September 2020 905 karma

Plus, the possible ProctorU issues are CRAZY. Powerscore answered a question on their forum, though, with a 99/98% prediction to January and February both being Flex tests. I can only imagine how impatient LSAC is to get back to having experimental sections. ... And not having to deal with 3rd-party ProctorU issues anymore and the mass of coupons they have to issue when something is screwed up on the PU end. I'm curious to see what happens for the April test, I could see that one potentially being in-person.

I personally don't want a digital 1L - the networking aspects are just too important (plus study groups and impromptu library access). I'd defer and study a year longer just for that!! (But, ha!, there's no way to know THAT far into the future)

The one benefit to taking full-length PTs is that if suddenly an in-person is scheduled (if Powerscore is wrong), then a 5-section test isn't going to be an utter disaster mentally.

Per the cycle, I don't think they'll react differently, they might be sick of working from home and anything else is just part of the covid situation.

• kamelbrooklynkamelbrooklyn Alum Member
    36 karma

So...you COULD wait. But...based on what they've been saying, they aren't planning on switching back anytime soon.
    And all I know is 1. I'm not basing putting off Law School so I can get a better break experience and 2. if you wait too long, you may have to take an LGless test, which I would not look forward to personally because it's my only guaranteed -0 section.
    But I mean, maybe that's just me. All I know is..there's no guarantee that's coming back.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

@LivinLaVidaLSAT said:
    I'm holding out for in-person, but my instructor, says he thinks it's unlikely they'll switch back, even after COVID. He gave a lot of good reasons, one of them being that flex is much easier for LSAC logistically speaking. I'm still holding onto an ounce of hope. Waiting because there is just no way I could take it at home due to my environment (inside and outside). Studying alone is very difficult at home.

They will probably have to switch at some point in order to have an experimental section for future tests. Unless they suddenly decide they can remotely proctor a break. Good luck with your studies!