Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What PTs in the 70s and 80s should I watch out for

stheusstheus Free Trial Member
in General 5 karma

Hi! I'm taking the November flex and have PTs 78-89 for practicing up until then - spacing out 2 per week pretty much. Any word of advice for which are harder/hardest? Or is there a discussion on which PTs the flex is resembling the most?

I've studied starting in 60s, taking them in order starting from 2010.

I heard Pts in the 80s are difficult compared to others, so I'm nervous to even dive in and kill my confidence..

LMK! xx

Comments

• Thy RainThy Rain Core Member
    99 karma

I heard 83 and 88 are some tough ones!

• jakefan19960105jakefan19960105 Alum Member
    35 karma

PT 88 Game 3 (flower) & PT 89 Game 4

• tifa1219tifa1219 Member
    21 karma

In my experience, the late 80s are the hardest, especially in terms of LGs. I took PT 88 a week ago and let it destroy my confidence-- don't fall into the same trap! Mix up your tests, don't save all the late 80s PTs for the end. And believe in yourself!

For reference, below are the scores I got for the 80s. My average test score for the 3 months I've been studying (using PTs 50-89) is 167.5, so you can see that 85+ PTs were harder than average for me, while 81-83 (all 2017 tests) were above average.

80 - 166; 81 - 171; 82 - 169; 83 - 169; 85 - 165; 86 - 162; 87 - 168; 88 - 163; 89 - 165

I've heard people saying that the August Flex LG felt hard, while the RC felt easy. This may mean the harder LGs are here to stay, or it could mean nothing at all! I have not taken the flex so I invite others to weigh in.

Good luck!! You got this!!!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    edited October 2020 2054 karma

From personal experience, I feel like the LR and RC questions in the 80's are different than the 50's, 60's, and 70's. There felt like there were more "chose the best answer out of 0 good answers" than on earlier tests, where the trick with harder questions seemed to me to usually be spotting the twist among a couple of attractive looking answers. That could just be my interpretation but that is how I felt. Two of my 3 best RC scores came from 87-89, I forget which at the moment, because those, while they felt harder at times, apparently were easier for me. My third best RC score was from 50 though, which is supposed to be the worst for RC, so take that with a grain of salt. In general, the LSAT makers do a pretty good job of evening out the difficulty even if an individual test taker may feel like one or the other was much harder.

I will also say that I was horrendously depressed this weekend before finishing BR on 87 because I was sure that i had my worst score in more than a month the weekend before my Flex. It ended up being just above my average at 176 even though I felt like it was brutally hard. That, while it ruined most of my Saturday, has given me faith that, as JY says, we are terrible at knowing how we did on the test in general and to trust the preparation I have put in. Easier said than done, but I advocate doing the same even if you do have a bad test. It is just one test, your average is a much better predictor.

• ARMANC74ARMANC74 Member
    210 karma

@VerdantZephyr said:
    From personal experience, I feel like the LR and RC questions in the 80's are different than the 50's, 60's, and 70's. There felt like there were more "chose the best answer out of 0 good answers" than on earlier tests, where the trick with harder questions seemed to me to usually be spotting the twist among a couple of attractive looking answers. That could just be my interpretation but that is how I felt. Two of my 3 best RC scores came from 87-89, I forget which at the moment, because those, while they felt harder at times, apparently were easier for me. My third best RC score was from 50 though, which is supposed to be the worst for RC, so take that with a grain of salt. In general, the LSAT makers do a pretty good job of evening out the difficulty even if an individual test taker may feel like one or the other was much harder.

I will also say that I was horrendously depressed this weekend before finishing BR on 87 because I was sure that i had my worst score in more than a month the weekend before my Flex. It ended up being just above my average at 176 even though I felt like it was brutally hard. That, while it ruined most of my Saturday, has given me faith that, as JY says, we are terrible at knowing how we did on the test in general and to trust the preparation I have put in. Easier said than done, but I advocate doing the same even if you do have a bad test. It is just one test, your average is a much better predictor.

Lol get over yourself