Took a break - scoring worse?

RyanazRRyanazR Member
in General 208 karma

Hi everyone, I am taking the LSAT for the first time in November. Previously I was PT-ing averaging at low 170s, but then I suddenly dipped and my scores started averaging around 167-168. Thus, I decided to take a 5 days break, thinking that it would help. But since coming back from the break I have done way worse.

While previously I was averaging -0 to -2 for LG, now I am averaging -4. Further dips are seen on my LR and my RC. What should I do then? Should I just continue to take it slow? I am about 30 days away and I am somewhat flustered and desperate. Thank you so much!

Comments

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

It's hard to say because we have no additional background information to make inferences and assumptions from (sorry for the LSAT humor) but it could be you struggling to remain focused which is, I think, a little different than burnout. For me I went through a few weeks where it was so hard to focus on RC passages. My timing got suddenly worse even as I was getting better at the test. Take it easy, keep a moderate amount of pressure on yourself, and collect those inferences and assumptions to figure things out. I'd say go back to your regular schedule, provided you were not feeling burnt out, take your1 PT or 2 a week and see if you can deduce what you're thinking and feeling while working. It could also be events outside studying even. You're fighting off a cold, you're not sleeping enough, you are feeling down or depressed. Lots of things can affect academic performance.

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited October 2020 4311 karma

Don't think too much into it, it could just be that you're out of sync and have to find your rhythm again! Don't let it get to your head because that'll effect your score and then it just becomes a cycle lol. Reflect on the way you were scoring before and know you have the ability to do just that and ride that wave! Good look :blush:

• RyanazRRyanazR Member
    208 karma

@VerdantZephyr thank you so much! I will definitely take those things into account.

• RyanazRRyanazR Member
    208 karma

@"Law and Yoda" I hit a 171 today, so things seem promising, but we will see what happens. Thank you!!!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Glad to hear that you are back on track with your average. Great job!