Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your LG strategy?

So I'm currently going through the LG section. I'm curious to know what you guys do after each times LG section. In other words, do you repeatedly do the games until you're able to get the inferences. I'm unsure how to strategize that. Should I finish sections within the LG section and keep retesting the LG games and then move on? I plan to take LSAT in JAN so I'm hoping fixing my issue will help.

Comments

• r.alexanderr.alexander Core Member
    28 karma

It depends on the game and why I got the question wrong. LG is really not too bad of a section for me so my inferences are pretty good. When I mess up some question and still get it wrong after BR I will watch the video, do it again and then do it in the morning. I usually only have to do the game a second time to get what I missed right. But do it until you get everything right in the game. If it's certain games you mess up on I would go back and do the homework/ lesson on those types of games. I messed up on In and Out games with conditionals recently and now I am going back and doing some games just on those to really tighten up my skills. Do as many games as you can the more you do the faster and better you get. Honestly with LG, practice is so important. I would even re-do games that weren't within your time limits as well.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited October 2020 905 karma

If it's one that I either missed questions on or didn't finish in the recommended time, I'll:
    • watch the video to check my game board/inferences, but stop before the question discussion.
    • then retry the game and if I still miss a question, then I'll watch the question part of the explanation video.
    • then I set that game aside and return to it at least one week later, so that I don't remember all of the answers. If I make any mistakes on the 2nd time, it goes back into the 'to do' pile to return to until I perfect it. :) Most games I can perfect rather quickly, but there are a few odd ones that I have to do sometimes 4 times. I also try to highlight any game that has a question that trips me up originally, because I like to use those as warm-up games.

But, to answer your question, YES. I do repeatedly do them until I get the inferences. I just don't do the same game more than once a week at a minimum. ... Sometimes, it might be every two weeks. I'm also doing it a bit like what you mentioned, trying to perfect a type section before moving on. But, because of this, I do have to add in 'refresher games' (those warm-up games) so that I don't forget the progress I'd made later on when I'm working on a different game type section. I think of them a bit more like Drill Sets this way, too.

I wasn't sure how to proceed with the Foolproofing at first, but through searching the site (Pacifico has a great method that's mentioned a lot - I deleted the bookmark, so can't link it) and asking questions for help has helped me feel less like I'm not using my time efficiently.

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited October 2020 4306 karma

@hopefulling Gives great advice. Pacifico method was a great start to attacking LG- https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy

When I get a question wrong on a game I make sure to review the steps I normally take to see if I missed a step; I will repeat the game once more after reviewing my steps and what inferences I missed. I won't come back to this game until 3 days later. Then just to make sure I really understand and didn't just memorize I come back to the game once a month.

1) Read the scenario and rules completely, sometimes in the scenario you get clues so pause to mentally consider and visualize the game board and rules.

2) Nearly every game places these positions into an order, into groups, or both. So learn what terms help you recognize what game board to use.

3) Always be on the lookout for inferences - things that you can figure out by bringing information, such as rules, together. The purpose of your game board is to help you uncover inferences correctly

4) Look for opportunities to split up your game board into multiple ones.

5) Whenever you have trouble notating a rule clearly, don’t be afraid to write it out or provide as much detail as you feel necessary.

6) When you are done with your diagram, evaluate your notations carefully and check them back against the scenario and rules as written. Make sure that you understand what your notations mean, and that they represent the given information correctly.