Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking LSAT after application submitted

Hi all,

As a brief introduction, I took the October-flex thinking that I did not do very well on it. Although I did not have too much trouble with LR and the shredder game, the RC section (the one with Nigerian novel, EMF, privatization, fungus) took me all 35 minutes so I had no time to check on flagged questions, which were about 10 of them. Number wise, I am an extreme splitter with a 3.0-3.5 GPA and 173 LSAT from the August-flex. Due to my extremely low GPA, I wanted to increase my LSAT score slightly more by the October-flex so I will have a better chance in the admission process. Since I do not think I did better on the October-flex and I already signed up for the November-flex, I am pretty much set to try one more time in November.

Here comes my question: If I apply to law schools by the end of October, would schools delay my application when they see that I am taking the LSAT in November? Since splitters' cycles are always unpredictable and law school decisions are on a rolling basis, I really don't want to risk myself if schools would delay reviewing my application. There is no guarantee that I will score better on the November-flex, while delaying my application by a month can really hurt my chance. Further, I believe 173 is still enough to get me into some T20s if my application is reviewed before November. So I really want to make sure that taking the November-flex does not necessarily mean a one-month delay in finished application.

Lastly, I apologize for this lengthy post and any insight is appreciated!

Comments

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

I don't think they would delay looking at your application, especially given your already high score. So I don't think you'll have any problems applying and then updating them when you get your new score. That being said, you can always just give them a call and ask to confirm.

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    4300 karma

Hey @martinxi679 ! Reach out to the specific schools you want to apply to and ask them directly how they would review your application if you were to submit with the intention of taking a future test. Most schools accept your application and a new score to be submitted afterwards. Some schools don't. I attended a Yale webinar last week and the dean stated clearly not to apply if you plan to take a future test and your application is incomplete. So just double check!

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Live Member
    541 karma

If you don't have an LSAT score, your application will not be viewed, because it is not complete (you don't have a Law School Report). So don't view it as advantageous in submitting earlier in terms of rolling admissions. Doesnt matter.

If you have an LSAT score on record, what happens depends on the school. Some will evaluate your application with whatever scores are on record (which you probably don't want if you're retaking). Some people end up burned because it was thought they couldn't see you're registerd for future tests.Some people want schools to evaluate their application with the new score and some don't want the school to wait.

Other schools will see you're registered for a future LSAT and put your application on hold (put to the side and not look at, again doesn't put you ahead for rolling admissions).

Check with schools on their policy in advance of registration and I would let them know you're retaking and what you would like them to do with your application (some are receptive if they don't have clear cut rules).

• martinxi679martinxi679 Member
    281 karma

Thanks for all the insights! I will reach out to schools and ask what their policies are.