Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I "URM" ?

Male (Hispanic)
English is my second language
Came to the US at 9 years old
First-generation high school and university grad.

Would this be considered "URM" or more of a diversity statement thing?

Comments

• 615Kevin615Kevin Member
    74 karma

I definitely think you are an under-represented minority

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited October 2020 4306 karma

A couple forums on here that I've seen have mentioned that a minority might fall under- American Indians/Alaskan Natives, African Americans/Blacks, Mexican Americans, and Puerto Ricans.

LSAC's website states this "Law schools seek qualified African American, Latino, Asian, and Native American students, as well as other students of color, to enrich the learning process for all students. Ethnic/racial identity is self-reported on your LSAC registration or on your law school application materials (or both)."

https://www.lsac.org/discover-law/diversity-law-school/raciallyethnically-diverse-applicants

I think you have a strong case to be considered a URM!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

As you are Hispanic, you can certainly claim URM status. You determine if you want to select that box and no one is going to dispute you on it. Schools will be happy to have another URM applicant rather than act as ethnicity police.

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

As everyone else has mentioned above, you’d definitely be able to claim URM status.

• oagui023oagui023 Member
    159 karma

Thanks for clearing this one up for me everyone!

Best of luck to you all