Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT 163, GPA 4.02, Apply UCLA now or later?

Should I apply now or take the November LSAT and wait for the score release?
I'm not sure if I could improve significantly in 2 weeks for the November LSAT;
I am a UCLA undergrad. Should I apply now instead?

Comments

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I am always hesitant to give application advice, because I am not an admissions expert, but you could apply now and send an addendum that you are taking the LSAT again and will submit your scores. If you subscribe to any of the admissions products I would encourage you to ask whoever you are working with their thoughts on it. That is certainly an impressive GPA though. Is UCLA the only school you are applying to @isaaccccc03 ?

• d.h.isaisd.h.isais Member
    edited October 2020 113 karma

I'm in a very similar situation to you! My GPA is 4.2 and I'm taking my first LSAT in November (my PT average is 164.4).

Ann Levine just published a short blog in which she predicts that this is going to be an incredibly competitive cycle. Current applications are up 52.7% compared to just last year!

Personally, I think I'm only going to apply to my dream schools this year. If I don't get in, I'll re-apply next year along with applying to some back-up schools.

In case anyone is interested, here are the stats I referenced.

https://report.lsac.org/VolumeSummary.aspx?Format=PDF

2054 karma

Well viewing that link was stressful. 126% increase in LSAT scores at/over 175. 25% or more increase in applications basically everywhere. Hopefully this is just a reflection of more people having had time to prepare applications earlier and not of a class that ultimately has more than 50% more people than usual.

• karko2525karko2525 Member
    620 karma

@VerdantZephyr it scared me too. I watched the ThinkingLsat podcast where they featured Ann and she freaked me out about applying this cycle. Apparently, there's been a crap ton more 170's plus this cycle and more people are applying cuz of the uncertain future with the whole Covid Pandemic. In addition, some people who got in last year also deferred meaning there's less seats ... The typical 25%/75% and medians at the schools may also change due to the score inflation so expect higher medians than usual.. So basically, what I got from the podcast is that most people should wait and apply early next cycle. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of luxury so I guess I'll be in a competitive cycle and just see what I can get 🤡😭

• lsatdiva333lsatdiva333 Member
    227 karma

What's accounting for the score inflation? Is it because of LSAT FLEX?

2054 karma

I think that may be part of it but I would guess more of it is more people with more time to study. People that score below their goals are much more likely to retake again in November or December or whatever as well. Those above 170 though, and especially 175 are going to apply immediately. It may be that the inflation of average numbers will go up more equally across all score ranges over time. I would say people that score poorly also may be more inclined to try again these days since so many are not working. In a normal year maybe more said, "I do not have time to study more and retake and my local school is fine. I can even do classes at night" while this year they are sitting at home with no job to tie them down? I think anything we try to come up with is speculation.