PT41-S1-Q4- "Industry experts expect improvements.."

miriaml7miriaml7 Live Member
edited October 2020 in Logical Reasoning 1025 karma

Would really appreciate someone's explanation on why "C" is the incorrect answer choice

Also, if you have any tips for RRE question stems, they would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-41-section-1-question-04/

Comments

• brookegojazzbrookegojazz Core Member
    360 karma

Hey!

So after looking at this one, here's my thoughts.

B is the right choice to me because if we have more people working at the same time we change our safety protocols, THIS change can explain an alternative reason as to why we're seeing more accidents. We're looking at a cause/effect relationship and this gives me an alternate cause aka explanation of what's happening.

I didn't like C because it is telling me that after we have more accidents preceding and then EVEN MORE following the safety training changes but it doesn't give me a reason as to WHY we are having those changes. C just gave me more mystery to the problem.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8486 karma

Improvement in job safety training is supposed to lead to safer work environments.

But OTJ accidents increased in the months following improvements to training programs

resolve: sooo if improved training makes things safer why did accidents increase right after improvements were made?

(A) a different survey found conflicting results specific to the transportation sector.

Good for them? We don't care about that... does nothing to resolve our argument.

(B) training improvements only tend to happen when workforce increases.

This is trying to get you to just think, ok but we don't need to know why they improve training. We need to know why accidents increased. But this does explain an increase... as more employees could mean more accidents even if the overall rate of accidents was lowered, meaning the workplace was safer statistically, but still had an overall larger number of accidents.

(C) training improvements only tend to happen when accidents increase.

Ok but if true, this still does nothing except suggest they would try to improve the training again after the accidents increased. We want to know why they increased right after training in the first place.

It went: training improvement --- accident increase
    Per this AC: accident increase -- training improvement --- accident increase. And we still don't have an explanation for the increase following training.

In other words it provides a reason for the training improvement, not a reason for the increase in accidents after the training improvements that are supposed to make things safer.

I think if you fall for the way they hide B, it primes you to accept C because it references accidents.

(D) accident increase wasn't random... okaaay? Not an explanation.

(E) they had safety measures. I think D and E are both equally obvious. Test Writer focus on this was B and C.