Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Application Timeline Advice:

Meg_5280Meg_5280 Core Member

Hi everyone! I am very new here but I am feeling the love, so thank you. Long story short, I took the October 2020 Flex and got a 149 (very sad). I am registered and am preparing for the January '21 retake. 7Sage is really making me feeling like I've got a much better handle on the LSAT and I've only been on here for 2 days! My main question is: should I wait for the next admissions cycle ('21-22) to apply? I am definitely looking at a variety of mid-top law schools depending on my next LSAT score and my GPA (3.85). My goal is to obviously get admitted but also to receive scholarships. I am 23 years old and will be graduating with a SPED degree in December with years of experience in the education field, so I definitely have time to refine my application, I just need help weighing the pros and cons! Any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so so much and best of luck to everyone!!

Comments

• Meg_5280Meg_5280 Core Member
    49 karma

P.S. I have 3 LORs on file and have started my personal statement. I have people lined up to revise my essays and my resume has been reviewed by a number of colleagues. I feel like the brunt of the application work has already been done, but weighing the risks of applying late has been daunting.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

A January score is perfectly fine for this cycle as far as timeline. People are pretty worried about being early because of the increase in early applicants and high scores, but we don't know if that equates to higher numbers for the cycle or affects cycle outcomes. I think the issue is more whether you will be ready to score what you need in January. Personally, I think scoring should determine your timeline, not the other way around. So, should you wait? If you get your target score... no, not just because its January.

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

Hi there!

Based on your stated desires, I would advise waiting a cycle. You have a fantastic GPA. If you can pull your LSAT score up then you will be easily in the running for admission with a healthy scholarship and some outstanding law schools. I had to make a similar decision last year actually. My GPA is very close to yours and I have some decent soft factors in my application I think, but my LSAT score just was not where I wanted it to be and I knew I could do better. I also shared your desire to attend a mid-top law school, for a variety of reasons. As difficult as it was, I decided last year that to apply then would not have been in my best interest. So, I delayed a cycle. Now I have strengthened my resume and significantly beefed up my LSAT score (hopefully November will be even better) and I think that I am now in a much better position for admission to my top 2-3 school choices. Good luck, I wish you the best!

I hope this helps!