Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sunk cost fallacy and skipping LSAT questions

edited October 2020 in General 109 karma

We've all been there.

You've invested 60 seconds reading a dense stimulus and probably another 10 seconds scanning the ridiculous answer choices.

You know you should skip/flag this timesink and just move onto the easy questions.

BUT, NO!

Those 70 seconds you just spent trying to wrap your mind around that stimulus will unravel as soon as you get into the next question. When you come back, you'll have to read it ALL AGAIN because it sure didn't make sense the first time and now you're starting to think this in an experimental question or some kind of twisted joke.

What is your personal point of no return on these questions?

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8318 karma

I try to use hard skip triggers:

Stimulus twice and still cant ID and assumption or flaw - skim ACs then move if nothing clicks.
    Got the argument but AC's read twice w/no answer - skip.
    Anything both super long and past Q10

For Q1-10 i will skip a lot more aggressively. I try to get out of those ones in under 40 seconds, answered or not. I find that any confusion doing 1-10 is typically because of insufficient warm up, and when I come back for round 2 its no problem.

I tried to use 60 seconds as a time hack, but found that I don't pay enough attention to the clock for individual questions.

I dont mind reading the stimulus again on a subsequent round... the time you get processing that question in the back of your mind is worth it. Not uncommon just to come back and realize what the answer is right away. Plus, if you had just lingered, you were probably going to read the stimulus again anyway.