Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Potentially burnt out days before my test #Help

Martin. TMartin. T Alum Member
edited November 2020 in General 53 karma

Greetings,

I'm taking the November LSAT FLEX on Wednesday. Originally my score was at 141but my score gradually increased over the passed couple of months. I've been stuck at 153 since the end of September, however, I have a strong feeling that I would be able to score higher if I learned to became more comfortable with the time constraints. I went from taking prep test every week to almost everyday along with other forms of timed and mastery practice. I am a person who in general has issues with anxiety. I am currently three days away from taking my LSAT test and I am experiencing a major reoccurring problem. For the past two weeks, I've been experiencing the inability to finish my test due to panic. I usually start to become frustrated and unfocused to the point where I'm unable to regain my focus enough to answer the remaining questions ( I was not experiencing this problem up until the last week of October).

I'm not sure if I'm burnt out to the point where it escalating my anxiety or if it's another underlying reason. I am hoping I can receive advice on what I should do from this point.#HELP

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

So sorry you are having such terrible anxiety, that is very stressful so close to the exam, I'm sure. If I were you, I would put the study materials away and do whatever you can to decompress. Your subconscious will continue to process everything you have learned, so just let it marinate. I personally like Kava Kava for anxiety, it is a very helpful herbal tincture that can take some of the edge off. Other than that, good diet, sleep and deep breathing and mediation to work on destressing during the exam. You could just sit and visualize taking your test, away from your computer, just go through the mental process and work on keeping as calm as you can. That's all I got. Best of luck!!

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

Taking a PT everyday is a lot of work and mental stress. I think if you decompress a little, you're mind will be able to relax and rejuvenate some before the big exam. I would steer away from anymore PTs this close to the exam and try more relaxed studying that just gently keeps your mind sharp--redoing some logic games or reading some passages, etc. It's similar to prepping for a big race-- you won't learn anything new so close, so the most important thing is to make sure you're rested up before the big day. I second trying to work on meditation. Also focus on breathing through the panic during an exam. Sometimes, when I feel stuck on an answer, I begin to panic and then freeze up. I've found that being quick to skip to a new problem or just start writing something down or barreling through sometimes help me get past that initial freeze and gets my brain going again. I hope that helps and best of luck to you.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@"Martin. T" Take a break and relax. No timed sections before the test. Do a few untimed problems everyday and keep relaxed. Removing your stress will let you unlock your true potential. You can definitely do this. Just let the real you, your training and cleverness take over and let go of the worry about consequences. This test feels so big, so terrifying. But really, what does this one day matter? What does it really say about you and what is the cost if you do not make your score. You can take it again, LSAT Flex takes are unlimited and you can always cancel your score as a first time test taker with score preview. Worst case you take again in January, or push it off a year to a less competitive cycle when you are more likely to get financial aid. Nothing that is stressing you out can harm you or ruin your life. Try to take that in and make it a mantra before hand. If you can convince yourself of the truth in this I think it will really help to limit the anxiety before the test. I realize this might be a hard ask, I definitely went in stressed myself, but it is true that in the end this one day of testing is not that big a deal. Some of the most famous 7sagers on here started out bombing their tests only to end up at top 14 schools with scholarships. Worst case scenario you get to follow in their footsteps.

You are clever, well educated, and strong with a full future in front of you. No need for anxiety to take root. Take the offensive against it.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2020 8318 karma

Khan has a good guided meditation playlist.

• Martin. TMartin. T Alum Member
    53 karma

Thank you so much, I will really take in this advice and use your advice this week!!!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@"Martin. T" I hope everything went well for you. Good luck!