Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I cancel my score (election distractions)?

Hi folks - I just took the November Flex. For reference, I took my first LSAT-Flex in October and did well. I went into November thinking I could do better...While the November test was fairly standard, perhaps even easier than October, just as I began to take the test, Biden was called (!), and for the entire test all I heard were people screaming and cars honking. I also had zero adrenaline, zero nerves. I felt like my body was so relieved from the election being called that I just crashed just as the test started. 1) Do you think LSAC would allow me to retake the test if I filed a complaint (I'm assuming ProctorU has the video recording of all the noise); 2) Has anyone taken an LSAT with zero adrenaline and done well? Legit I was so calm/exhausted/out of it that I feel like I lacked the edge necessary to execute the score I wanted. Also, if I don't cancel my score, is it bad for admissions to see let's say a 170 and then a 160? Thank you!

Comments

• 162 karma

From what I've observed, people tend to do much better when they are in the right mindset and free of nerves. I think cancelling a score is just a waste of money and pointless, however that's just my personal opinion based on my own situation. I've been reading a significant amount of reddit posts today regarding the distraction of Biden being called during the exam. If I was in your situation, I'd probably file a test complaint because it can't harm you, only help you if it works out. I hope it all works in your favor and I'm sure you did amazing!! :)

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I am not aware of the process for filing a complaint, but would that allow you to see your score? Scoring far lower than October might be slightly problematic, but you could also just submit an addendum and say that basically Biden was called the winner just as the test was starting and people went crazy honking and screaming and it was distracting and affected your performance. I am inclined to think that if you had the higher score on your first take and your argument is just "the first take is indicative of my abilities, the second is not" that would be sufficient. If you scheduled again after the first take they aren't going to assume you went way over what you expected to score. If you had you would not have retaken.

On the other hand, if you really want a retake to get a score that demonstrates your maximum ability filing a complaint is better. I do not see a strong benefit to canceling.

• brookegojazzbrookegojazz Core Member
    360 karma

If you don't want to cancel/a complaint doesn't work, you can always write an addenda! That would be a perfect scenario for that.

• brrrjnn21brrrjnn21 Member
    edited November 2020 12 karma

I just filed a complaint, and I chose the option to keep my score after the complaint has been reviewed. Thank you all for the advice!

• Aashvi45Aashvi45 Free Trial Member
    3 karma

It could be wise to cancel your score if the election-related distractions have a major negative influence on your performance. Provide a brief explanation of the distractions' circumstances and how they interfered with your ability to concentrate during the exam in your remark. This shows your dedication to impartial evaluation and gives background information on the cancelation.PM kisan status