Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Withdraw from January?

StephanieC95StephanieC95 Alum Member
in General 8 karma

I plan to apply next cycle. I took the test for the first time in August, panic registered for November, got my score (mid-160s), and then had to postpone to January due to a professional conflict. I haven't looked at a PT or logic game since score release. Ironically, I got my highest ever PT score after score release, 172, so I know I'm capable of doing better than I did on test day, especially if I grind hard over the next two months. And hopefully if they get some technical issues taken care of by then because I know for a fact some of the proctoru struggles negatively impacted my score. My GPA is decent, it's right around the current medians for most of the schools I'm interested in but I have several withdrawals on my transcript due to a medical condition that went undiagnosed virtually all of undergrad, so I know even with an addendum explaining that I've since received a diagnosis and have it under complete control, some eyebrows are understandably going to be raised. I'm hoping a high LSAT score will offset at least some of the concerns admissions committees may have. But I also know a mid-160s is at or above medians if not 75th percentiles for several schools I'm interested in. I'm also chasing money because I do NOT want to pay sticker wherever I end up going. And I think the money concern is part of why I'm hesitating because I can't get my money back at this point if I do withdraw because I was originally registered for November, I assume.

As an extra layer of fun, I work full-time in the field of law I want to eventually practice and I've just applied for two jobs that would in essence be promotions if I received them. If I received one in particular, I'd essentially need to stay in the job for 3 years to really get as much benefit as possible, financially as well as professionally. I know LSAT scores are good for a few years so I'm not worried about that at all, it's more of a question of if I get either of these jobs my plate will get much fuller because I'll either be learning a whole new sector of my field or I'll have increased responsibility within the office compared to what I have now.

So what do you guys recommend? Sticking with January and just grinding for two months? Postpone until February/later? Or just withdrawing and counting myself extremely lucky to have done as well as I did on my first shot?

Help me decide my fate
  1. What do you think my LSAT path should be?28 votes
    1. Withdraw, suck up the lost $200, and just be happy with the mid-160s
        7.14%
    2. Stick with January and tough it out for the next two months
      50.00%
    3. Postpone again to February to give a little extra cushion
      39.29%
    4. Other
        3.57%

Comments

• ibarre98ibarre98 Member
    44 karma

Maybe I misread, but if you're applying for next cycle what's the rush to take in January, or even February?

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

The rush is taking when she has time to prepare I think. When would you be job start? Would you put off law school for three years while you moved up? I'm leaning towards saying take in January but if you're going to be in the middle of a stressful role change at work maybe that's not as good of an answer as it should be. If you're getting a 172 now in practice I think taking soon is good, but what are the details with the job?

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8486 karma

I'd say the decision is just continue to prep or not... and I think you should. No one ever said they wished they prepped less. If you're ready, take January. If not, push it back. Let your scoring call the timeline.