Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any recommendation for where to look for complex articles?

rgoho89rgoho89 Core Member
edited November 2020 in Reading Comprehension 33 karma

Hello, I have been trying to improve my reading comprehension. Someone recommended reading harder passages for practice. I looked into JSTORE and tried to find articles/papers on law, science and art. Do you guys think this is suffice or does anyone have any recommendation where to look for?

Thank you

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2020 8313 karma

RC can come from anywhere. The killer passage this month was an NYT article. Economist is good, Scientific American, Nature, etc.... maybe if you can get you hands on some academic journals, but the best source is other RC sections. I just worked from PT 1 up or any PT I broke up. Some can be drills, some just to ID reasoning structure, some just read with the objective of learning something. Unless you’ve seen every released RC section, I think any other reading should be secondary... for prep purposes anyway.

Edit: PTs (and flex tests!) also give you the source material used at the end of the test.

• chaplin___chaplin___ Alum Member
    edited November 2020 596 karma

academic journals might be an overkill but if that's what interest you and you also got the time then go for it. I find reading the Economist helpful: Leaders resembles a typical RC passage in terms of length, By Invitation are longer opinion pieces which are good for practicing structure and memory recall, 1843 Magazine articles are also a bit lengthier but the topics are pretty eclectic and fun in a way, Prospero is good for having more exposure to arts, culture, books etc

for more longform memory retention practice, I read the New Yorker and the Atlantic, sometimes Foreign Affairs (their law and institutions section make law passages with unfamiliar terminologies and legal concepts less daunting, like the one about Hart's legal positivism)

I'm weaker in the hard sciences passages so I often check out Science, but for arts and culture, Paris Review comes in handy, it's also just great for leisurely reading

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    4572 karma

Arts and letters daily has helped me tremendously with art and humanities passages. You can find them here: https://aldaily.com/

• rgoho89rgoho89 Core Member
    33 karma

Thank you Christopherr, Chaplin__ and CanihazJD for your input. I really appreciate it. I'll look into your suggestions right away. Thanks guys.